Hello I am new here and have a few questions

Chickentwit

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2019
who has the best price on egg cartons?
Best hatchery for turkeys?
I use tractor supply for my chicks
How long before silkies start laying? My road island reds were about 6 months old when they started but my silkies are 8 months old and as far as I can tell no eggs yet.
Thank you in advance for your input!

Welcome to the forum. Hatchery for Turkeys I'll let someone else recommend. Your silkies aren't super over the mark, but a little past it. They may not lay until spring, poke around and make sure you have their diet right. You could try adding a few hours of artificial light, whether it is worth it is up to you. Egg cartoons, we have bought cartons with a dozen eggs in them from Aldis for $0.37, while RK and TSC were $0.50 a cartoon and online is pretty close, by the time shipping figures in. Maybe someone else knows a good spot? Man that would be a good group buy, would be a rough to organize.

Ty for the reply we love be in Florida so they get enough light
Most hens have natural triggers in them, temperature, hours of daylight, diet, stress, and I bet I missed quite a few, "flip" switches. With the daylight hours decreasing, kinda puts the in a different mode. Mine will lay more in the early spring once the days start getting longer, even though the days are actually shorter than when they slow or some near stop in the fall. Big corporate type "factories" trick them, starve one group into a molt, and rotate, or increase light hours to trigger laying. Art and science kinda thing.

Lol we live in Florida and love Florida too! None of our girls stopped laying last year, we did have a heat lamp on them when we hit 60 degrees. My silkies are small still and the rooster is trying to crow. He tries to mimic my full grown guy it’s really cute they sit next to each other and the big guy crows then the silkie Charlie squeals. So maybe the girls are just a little late. I got 10 Po locks at the same time as the silkies and they have not started yet.
Thank you so much for the insight

The best price for egg cartons is China, you can get them for dirt cheap if you buy around 100,000! :lau

And yes, I have email proof. I spent way too much time just to realize that small orders are expensive.

The best price for egg cartons is China, you can get them for dirt cheap if you buy around 100,000! :lau

And yes, I have email proof. I spent way too much time just to realize that small orders are expensive.

A buddy and myself looked at doing some imports a few years back, we kind of came to the conclusion that 1/2 of jobbers (distributor-ish) price, setting at our dock, was where it might be worth doing. Broker fees so you don't get burnt or arrested, tariffs, shipping, now being the "manufacturer"... $50 Ebay is worth the risk, much more than that. I have another buddy, "owns" a factory in China, gets a call that he is breaking distributor agreements, someone else is selling his product too cheap. He tracks it down, thought it was knock offs, nope his mandatory Chinese "partner" was running extra shifts and neglecting to report the extra sales. CCP arrested my buddy when he reported it, and miraculously let him out after he stopped complaining. Unless you have a live person on the ground there, don't do it. lol

Back
Top Bottom