Hello, I am new here. You have heard the expression, "it cost me an arm and a leg"? Well...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ndgeller, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ndgeller

ndgeller Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Hello. I have been hovering in the background, reading, enjoying, considering... Wanting to get my own "girls". Up until about 6 months ago, my husband has staunchly said "No" to the idea. His love is motorcycle riding and I spent the last few years trying to learn, so I could share his love and fun. So, you are saying, what does all that have to do with "COSTING AN ARM AND A LEG"?

About 6 months ago, I took a fall while we were dirt bike riding. I shattered my leg, and really did a number on my knee as well. Stuck in bed, motorcycle riding a thing of the past, husband feeling really bad about what has come to past. I clearly needed a new interest. About 3 months ago, I finally got my coop, and my beginning chicken family. I love my girls, they are really therapeutic and helped me through this tough time.

I am happy to say that I am beginning to walk again. And although it is not exactly correct, I sometimes say that my chickens did not cost an arm and a leg; but they did cost "a leg" (sort of)

Looking forward to continuing my journey, with a lot of you to help guide me.

Incidentally, I have Seramas. I have raised them since they were 5 days old. I hand-feed them worms every day, they sleep in the house at night. I love my new feathered family!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Adorable chickens, and what a happy ending to your story. They are great!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    your rooster is gorgeous, who did you get him from? "some" people will do anything to get out of riding motorcycles, I wouldn't go that far but, it's great you got your chickens. Seramas are so small they only count for half a chicken or less, so you should be allowed to have many more.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Adorable little flock, agree you need more!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    :welcome they are adorable little guys

7. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome and enjoy it here, I know I do and I'm new too. Your Rooster looks so majestic and proud. I'd love my chickens in the house but it only happens when one is sick and needs to be apart from the others.

8. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Welcome! Wishing you continued healing as well. Your flock is so cool looking!

[​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I have your rooster's twin that's amazing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by