Hello! I am new here!!!

vogelsgirl63

Hatching
Nov 27, 2015
Hi! My name is Kim and I am a newbie to chicken keeping and this forum!! I have been watching from the sidelines at all the wonderful information here and decided to jump in! :D I live in Casper, Wyoming. I appropriated 6 hens this last summer and seems there is a LOT to learn! I got 2 Columbian Wyandottes from my husband's niece. Then I got 4 pullets from a patient of mine that needed to get rid of them. Two are Barred Rocks and not sure about the other 2...Rhode Island Reds maybe. One of those red hens I believe has become my "rooster" - she is very assertive!! I would like a rooster, but hubby says we do NOT need one!! And from what I have read, it can be hard to find a nice one. I have one of my Columbian Wyandottes that must be molting - is it common this late in the year? I mean it is like 10 degrees here!!! I love The Chicken Chick too and posted this question to her page. She said molting - don't worry - but of course I do! Like I said, I am new to this and Brrrrr...poor girl! We did put an electric radiant wall heater in the coop because she seemed so lethargic. My plans had been to be all natural with no heat in the coop, but I felt bad for her! I checked under her wings for "critters" but not truly sure what they would look like, but saw nothing moving or red like mites would be? She does not seem much interested in food. She would take mealworms from my had as a treat but not since she is losing all these feathers. Apparently being "nekkid" is hard for her. Look forward to being a member here and learning from all you experienced chicken people!!! ;)

Hi! My name is Kim and I am a newbie to chicken keeping and this forum!! I have been watching from the sidelines at all the wonderful information here and decided to jump in!
big_smile.png
I live in Casper, Wyoming. I appropriated 6 hens this last summer and seems there is a LOT to learn! I got 2 Columbian Wyandottes from my husband's niece. Then I got 4 pullets from a patient of mine that needed to get rid of them. Two are Barred Rocks and not sure about the other 2...Rhode Island Reds maybe. One of those red hens I believe has become my "rooster" - she is very assertive!! I would like a rooster, but hubby says we do NOT need one!! And from what I have read, it can be hard to find a nice one. I have one of my Columbian Wyandottes that must be molting - is it common this late in the year? I mean it is like 10 degrees here!!! I love The Chicken Chick too and posted this question to her page. She said molting - don't worry - but of course I do! Like I said, I am new to this and Brrrrr...poor girl! We did put an electric radiant wall heater in the coop because she seemed so lethargic. My plans had been to be all natural with no heat in the coop, but I felt bad for her! I checked under her wings for "critters" but not truly sure what they would look like, but saw nothing moving or red like mites would be? She does not seem much interested in food. She would take mealworms from my had as a treat but not since she is losing all these feathers. Apparently being "nekkid" is hard for her. Look forward to being a member here and learning from all you experienced chicken people!!!
wink.png

Welcome To BYC. I'm in Idaho. I've been to Casper Wyoming before. There are many of us that are more than willing to help. Please post some pictures on here so we can try to see what's going on.

Hi! I'm new here too, but I've been keeping chickens for several years now. I've got Golden comets, Cinnamon Queens, a white silkie and an Ameraucauna. I've also just acquired four Jubilee Orpingtons- my dream chickens. lol Not to mention my guineas and DH's Khaki Campbell ducks. Currently, I'm looking to rehome my other laying hens and keep only the Orpingtons.

I always feel sorry for my girls when they are molting. They look so pitiful- but they usually eat pretty well. You are a good chicken mom to look for other causes for the feather loss. I read somewhere on this site that they may do better if you give them extra protein to eat. When mine were molting this fall I bought some chick starter because of the higher protein content, but they passed it up for my cat's food instead. The meal worms you are feeding her should help.

Good luck with your new flock, I hope you find lots of enjoyment in them :)

Thanks for the welcome. Apparently I cannot post pictures yet because I am still too "new." I did put out some "growth" which is a little higher protein. I got a treat mix that has sunflower seeds & raisins that I give as a treat with the mealworms. A friend says it is good that her comb is still fairly red & not pale. She just looks so pitiful. I have not seen any blood or anything so I think my other girls are not pecking her.

welcome-byc.gif

I've noticed when my chickens molt, their behavior seems to change a bit, I think because the process of growing new feathers is uncomfortable for them so they keep more to themselves. They can also get kind of cranky with the other birds, lol. Good for you on checking them out to be sure there isn't anything else going on with them.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom