Hello, I am new to chickens :) HELP!!!!

Lookingforinfo

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Hello, my name is M.

I am trying to start raising chickens however my Mother is terrified that she will crack an egg one day to find that it has a baby chick in it. I know this is a basic question, but if anyone could please tell me the difference between a fertilized egg and one I could use for breakfast I would be ever so grateful.

M.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

If you don't get a rooster then you won't ever have to worry about it. Or you could gather the eggs every day and it won't be a problem. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!

Well, first off - no rooster, no fertilized egg. Easy-peasy.

Secondly, if you grab the egg the day it's laid or the next, while it will be fertilized, its perfectly safe to eat. You'll just notice a target or spot on the yolk to let you know its fertilized. Worst case scenario, you might find a blood spot, just spoon it out and eat the rest.

In fact, fertilized eggs are always safe to eat, its merely our cultural norms that most Americans won't eat developed fertilized eggs. In many parts of Asia, they are gourmet foods.

Listen to them! They are experienced and know what they are talking about! I have recieved info from numerous people on this forum and now I can help people that ask questions! (I STILL have LOTS of questions!)

You will never know they are fertile unless you have a broody or put it in an incubator. A fertile egg must be incubated to start developing. I've had chickens and roosters for years and have never even seen the beginning of development.

Occasionally you will see a little blood or a dark fleck or two. These have nothing to do with fertile and are safe to eat.

It's not that easy to tell fertile from infertile. Here's how -- some very interesting pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

My eggs have little specks of blood inside all the time and I don't have a rooster but it's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom