Hello, I got my first chickens! Questions about coop security, etc.

Quote:
Thank you! I think they're quite fascinated with outside. Fun to sit and watch them play
smile.png

Quote:
Sure, I'd love to. I'm not technically permitted though... I'm going to try, and see if anyone complains I suppose. The folks up the hill have peacocks, and others dogs and dirt bikes, so I can't imagine he'd intrude too terribly. I think there's a Leghorn roo in the mix as well. Can two get along with 12 hens? Or will they duke it out?

Usually its not the amount of hens in question if they get along but the actual roosters themselves. I have 2 seperate flocks on my property. Two roosters didn't like each other but I loved both of them so I have yards they both have 6 hens each. Also the Roosters will have a pecking order so they might "duke it out" but really they are knowing which one is better. Just like the hens will want to know which hen is the best hen.

Quote:
Sure, I'd love to. I'm not technically permitted though... I'm going to try, and see if anyone complains I suppose. The folks up the hill have peacocks, and others dogs and dirt bikes, so I can't imagine he'd intrude too terribly. I think there's a Leghorn roo in the mix as well. Can two get along with 12 hens? Or will they duke it out?

Usually its not the amount of hens in question if they get along but the actual roosters themselves. I have 2 seperate flocks on my property. Two roosters didn't like each other but I loved both of them so I have yards they both have 6 hens each. Also the Roosters will have a pecking order so they might "duke it out" but really they are knowing which one is better. Just like the hens will want to know which hen is the best hen.

Ha! You must have indeed liked them both to house two separate quarters! Nice. Well, that makes sense actually. As of now, they get along fine. The buff is significantly larger, but gentle... they've slept side-by-side. When might a rift begin to show? When they reach maturity?

Quote:

Ha! You must have indeed liked them both to house two separate quarters! Nice. Well, that makes sense actually. As of now, they get along fine. The buff is significantly larger, but gentle... they've slept side-by-side. When might a rift begin to show? When they reach maturity?

Yes or if one is small at young then gets bigger than another and does not want to be below the other roo in rank. Sometimes if you move them or if something changes within the flock the roos will start to fight.

Back
Top Bottom