Hello. I'm a new flock mom with lots of learning to do!

Welcome to BYC!   Glad you decided to join our flock.  Kelsie2290 has given you a good link for answering your questions.  There is also a good article on Winter Proffing Your Coop at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-proofing-your-coop-why-and-how.  You have some really good breeds.  Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed.  I have raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, very calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs.  And the Red Sex Links (Red Stars) are egg laying machines.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.  We are here to help in any way we can.  Good luck in getting your coop ready for winter.

What are the dimensions for the coop?  You need 4 sg.feet per bird inside the coop and 10 sg.feet per bird in the outside run.   If  you experience harsh winters they may stay in the coop most of the day. In that case it's best to  figure in additional space/  Chickens that are confined and crowded  end up feather pulling, bullying, fighting and sometimes cannibalism.
The coop is pretty roomy... guess it was a palatial privy! It is 5x6 and about 6ft at the peak.There are three nesting boxes. The pen on the end is strictly for limited periods of confinement. They are in a large pasture, about 1600square ft., most days.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Back
Top Bottom