Hello!!! I'm a new member!

nymejias1

Hatching
Feb 18, 2017
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
My name is Nathalie and I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, so I joined to be part of a community to help me out!
I'm a veterinary technician, doggy mommy, and now chicken mommy!
I started with 4 baby chicks. Betsy my Jersey Giant, Wanda my Gold Laced Wyndotte, Scarlet my RIR and My all time Fav Lucy barred Plymouth Rock.
Sadly Lucy was taken from me by a hawk
hit.gif
about a month ago.
Since then I got my girls a Rooster for protection, Red!
But Red is having a hard time fitting in with my 3 girls.He's 6months old and the girls will be 1yr in April.
They chase him and peck at him all day. It has gotten better in the sense that now he can relax a bit and preen with them and dust bathe, but out of nowhere the girls will start to bully him.
He does do his dance for them and tried to find them food, he's totally ignored btw, and now Wanda does the dance back to him. i don't know if thats even a good thing!
Today he gave me a good scare, he squeezed himself between our deck and Jacuzzi. We had to break some of our deck to get him out, and now I'm thinking it was because the girls were bullying him!
PLEASE HELP!!

Hello from Kansas, Nathalie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community. Sorry about your hawk attack!
sad.png
With regards to your rooster being accepted, I think it is just a matter of time until he asserts his dominance over the hens....as newer, younger, and smaller than the hens, he is a natural target - that will change. In the meantime you might read this article which describes ways in which chickens can be integrated: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
Another great place for general chicken knowledge is the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is loaded with valuable articles and great info. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

Hey Nathalie! My name is Carrie and I too a man new to the site, and also new to raising chickens. I'm so glad I came across this site because I have a situation that I am desperate for some help with....
We have a Roo and initially bought 3 hens and introduced them and all was great...
Fast forward 2 weeks and we introduced 14 hens into the coop (the people that had them wanted them gone and we got them for basically nothing, one of those all or nothing situations as well)....
he immediately started mating with them, seemed everyone was getting along and then one of the newest hens, who happens to be my baby lol.. she's solid white and one of a kind in our flock, but he's brutally attacking her!!!!! He's almost ripped her comb completely off of her head! I arrived home from work and walked out to the coop to check on them, water and feed and she was covered in blood and just beaten and battered. So I isolated her by making her home our large screened in back porch... so she could heal properly... he does not act this way with any other hen!!!! We took her back out there to the coop after a week+ Of isolation, about an hour ago, and as soon as Jase (fiancée) put her down, My Roo attacked her, BRUTALLY!!!!!!
Please, if anyone can provide any insight to this I will be forever grateful!!!! Re homing either of them is a very last resort, but I will NOT allow her to be hurt period!
Thank y'all so much in advance!!!
Have A Wonderful Day!!!

Carrie

G’Day from down under Nathalie
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry to hear about Lucy
sad.png

We are in a no-rooster zone so I am not able to help you with your rooster question but wish you and him all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

LOL!!! I totally understood what you meant!
I'm so sorry about your situation, but I have read and heard that sometimes they just don't get along. No matter what. You can try slow integration... divide the run with chicken wire so that she has her own space. Give her her own food and water, nesting box etc. for a few weeks. That way he can see her and smell her but not hurt her. The try again but preferable outside where she can run to safety or hide in bushes. Please let me know...

This is just my opinion but, there is a glut of roosters looking for homes. It's truly a buyers market. I would rehome the rooster and get a good one - or invite him to dinner as the main course. There is never a good reason to keep a BAD rooster.

If you don't need fertile eggs to hatch or sell, you don't even need a rooster. Most of them will not stand and fight off predators(they will run for cover) but if they did they would be the first victim- so really not much than nothing.

Hens will continue to lay the same amount of eggs (tho non-fertile) without him. Also please do not try to re-integrate you wounded hen back with the others UNTIL her wounds are healed. Chickens are attracted to wounds, blood etc, and will take up the call where the rooster left off.

welcome-byc.gif
to both @nymejias1 and @CarrieAndJase

Good advice from drumstick diva (as usual).

Back
Top Bottom