Hello I'm a newbie

eggxelent

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
Hi just thought I'd introduce myself I am eggxelent (trying not to sound full of myself here haha) and right now I have 0 chickens but I'm hoping to get more soon! If anybody has breed reccomendation for a fairly small, friendly bird please let me know! Anyway, that's all I have to say right now. Please post your recommendations!
jumpy.gif

Welcome! This place is awesome for everything you need to know in the backyard bird realm. I have about 25 different breeds and I would suggest to pick up a book on chickens (or look through the breed list here) and look for a breed that catches your eye. There are certain breeds that are very popular and there is a reason for that, they are attractive and produce good eggs. The more common breeds like orpingtons, plymouth rocks, rhode island reds, leghorns and easter eggers would fit this category. Common does not mean boring though! I love my common breeds as much as my rare and unusual breeds. Good luck and enjoy your future chickens!

I would recommend Cochin for backyard. My bantam Cochins are amazing.

For eggs I would find a non-typical leghorn like my barred Leghorns, they are fun to look at and produce and egg a day, I have 5 more on their way under my bantam cochins. They are hatching TONIGHT!

If you are looking for an all around bird go with wyandottes, They have great temperaments and get larger while laying eggs pretty consistently.

Of course it is all your choice, so just go on a hatchery website and look through their breeds until you find one you want.
Be mindful of cold and heat tolerances though. This last summer we had a hot and dry Oklahoma which killed many birds around the area.

Oh and welcome to the wealth of knowledge known as BYC!

Greetings from Kansas, eggxelent, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! I agree with Buxton about checking out the brown Breeds thread at the top of this site. I have a personal preference for Delawares, and the Red Stars and Black Stars - mine are super friendly and kind of mid-sized! An even smaller breed and layer of colorful (bluish and greenish) eggs are the Easter Eggers. I have found them to be a little more flighty than some other breeds but with time and patience they calm right down. There is also the option of getting a mixed flock for variety. I wish you the best whatever breeds you decide.Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help and the warm welcome! I have found a breed that I like so far on the page at the top that you guys mentioned, called a Campine, but the reviews say it is flighty. can someone tell me what flighty means, and if you have had a Campine give me a basic overview on whether I might like it? Thanks again for your help!
jumpy.gif

Okay found the answer to that one now just post whatever chicken knowledge you have. Ready, set, GO!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom