Hello, I'm new here, I was asked to introduce myself...

Annabellarose

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
London, Kentucky
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes and no. A long, l-o--n---g time ago, when I was just a kid, I raised a single (rooster) chick (my guess, looking back, is that he was a Cornish Cross) that was given to me (on a whim) by a good friend of the family, but I assure you that I took the task VERY SERIOUSLY and he turned into a big, beautiful, sweet pet. Back in May, about two weeks after my last horse passed away, I decided to order myself some chicks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
7 (chicks)

(3) What breeds do you have?
Dominiques (5) and Australorps (2)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Mine are not yet in the backyard as they are still in the brooder, but I have always enjoyed keeping and tending to (various species of) livestock.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Horses (my last horse just passed away in May), horseback riding, showing horses, dogs (I currently have 2), small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, parakeets, fish, etc.) crochet, computers, trying to grow things (I have really poor soil at my current property), etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
It's just me and my husband and my 2 dogs (a female Australian Cattle Dog and a female American Pit Bull Terrier), a (male) guinea pig, and (now!) 7 chicks.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Google. I have been reading articles and threads on the BYC site since late April or early May (if I had to guess) and I finally decided to join because I am decidedly hooked on chickens and I want to participate, ask (specific) questions, and continue learning about chickens and their care.

Last edited:

Annabellarose

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
London, Kentucky
Welcome good luck with your chicks! Did you get pullets are straight run?
I ordered all female Dominiques from a hatchery and I think that they are all still female! 😉 I bought 10 straight run Australorps at my local TSC because I was hoping to end up with at least 3 Australorp pullets. I sold 5 of the Australorps right away to a nice local fellow that had been scouring our area for straight run Australorp chicks because he was hoping to end up with at least 1 Australorp cockerel to cross on another breed that he already had, later. I was waiting until I could tell the cockerels from the pullets on my remaining 5 Australorps and my uncle decided that he wanted all of my cockerels (3) and they recently went on to their new home (and are doing well!); that left me with 2 Australorp pullets. I felt that I had need and room for 8 adult hens in the coop/run that I was planning to construct, so 7 is comfortable!

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
I ordered all female Dominiques from a hatchery and I think that they are all still female! 😉 I bought 10 straight run Australorps at my local TSC because I was hoping to end up with at least 3 Australorp pullets. I sold 5 of the Australorps right away to a nice local fellow that had been scouring our area for straight run Australorp chicks because he was hoping to end up with at least 1 Australorp cockerel to cross on another breed that he already had, later. I was waiting until I could tell the cockerels from the pullets on my remaining 5 Australorps and my uncle decided that he wanted all of my cockerels (3) and they recently went on to their new home (and are doing well!); that left me with 2 Australorp pullets. I felt that I had need and room for 8 adult hens in the coop/run that I was planning to construct, so 7 is comfortable!
That all worked out well!

Top Bottom