Hello Im NEW!! Too soon to use pack and play?

JessisosiChick

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hello everyone I'm new to BYC and just acquired 6 baby chicks. 2 Columbian Wyandotte's, 2 white Wyandotte's and 2 red stars.
They are 2 weeks old now and everyone seems super happy, cute and feathers are starting to come in full force! My question is I have them in a 30"x18"x18" Rubbermaid brooder and they are growing so fast that I got a pack and play from a friend, is it too early to put them in the pack and play?? They are indoors and kept at 66 degrees in the room with a heat lamp that keeps them at about 80-85 degrees. They seem to be running around a lot and kind of running over each other thus why I would really like to move them into something bigger but I'm worried it might be to big and airy for them at 2 weeks old. THANK YOU ALL!!

Last edited:
The more space you can give them the better. You might need to put a cardboard draft guard around it, and you'll surely need to cover it. Not sure how you are going to safely cover it if you are using a heat lamp.

Thank you! I actually have a large wood framed screen that fits over the pack and play perfectly that I can rest the heat lamp on, and I already cut cardboard for the base but that's a great idea to put it around the sides too to keep in heat! I'm gonna go ahead tonight and move them into their new home! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom