Hello, I'm Phil

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by philter4, Apr 3, 2011.

1. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    Hi, my name is Phil. I have a lot of experience with mammals, but I have not had birds since I was about 15 years old (I'll be 46 in June). I have kept exotics all of my life, right now I have am not keeping any because of a health problem I am dealing with but I normally have several different cats, my favorites are servals and caracals, but I have kept binterongs, coati mundi, I have a small herd of common or plains zebra that are mixed with a friends herd for added genes, and I am working on getting some European mouflon right now.

I started with birds again last year, and although I have a few wyandotte chickens my main interest is in jungle fowl and pheasants. I have grey and green jungle fowl, 5 other species of pheasants and both helmeted and vulturine guinea fowl. I have been reading the posts here and there for about 3 months and decided to join. I have property in both California and Florida, and all of my exotics are in FL because that is where I have the permits to keep them. The birds are here in California, my only requirement with my birds is they have to be able to take the cold winters. I live in the foothills between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, and I do heat the jungle fowl and vulturine guineas because they are the reason I started keeping birds again but everything else is kept outdoors year round. My pens are all double pens, I have foxes and mountain lions on the property, last month a mountain lion killed a deer right in front of the house about 50 yards and in full view of the living room windows, (it happened at 2 in the morning and we heard it but it was too dark so we didn't know what happened until the next morning) and last fall I lost 5 helmeted guinea fowl to a fox until I started putting them in the barn at night. The smallest pens I have are 8x8 foot with a 6 foot high cover, and the larger pens are 40x10 feet with an 8 foot high cover and a coop at one end. I have the bird pens on a 1.5 acre graded pasture below the house. The chickens and guinea fowl are free range except at night, and in the winter I pen the vulturine guineas.

This is my first post, and I just wanted to introduce myself and give some background.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome to our forum!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're a pretty busy person!

I used to live in Auburn. It's beautiful up there! Easy drive to Tahoe, too!

[​IMG]

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] and [​IMG] ! That's a lot of wildlife going on in your yard...

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana [​IMG]

8. TajMaChicken

TajMaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Hernando, MS
    [​IMG] for North MS! [​IMG]

9. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps