Hello! I'm Suzanne from Missouri

trixanned

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I joined a few weeks ago but have not had time to say Hello!
My husband and I built a 4x4 coop with 4 nesting boxes and a 14 ft. run and went out to buy chickens. We got 4 6mo. old Buff Orpington hens. We did'nt buy chicks cause we did'nt want roosters. I have a fenced in back yard and let them out to free range 2hrs. before sundown. They have learned to go in the run by themselves. I have 3 dogs that I keep in the house untill they return to their coop and I close the gate.As a treat I give them soaked bread with water and a splash of milk. Cooked oatmeal,fruit and veggie's. They get laying pellets and oyster shell as their feed with ground corn for scratch. They are almost 8mo.s now BUT they have not started to lay yet. None of them. Are Buff's late layers or should I be worried? They are already bigger then the neighbors rhode Island red's and they are almost 2 yrs old.We will add on to their coop in the spring but for now I think a smaller coop will help them stay warm. It is ventilated and sealed up but not insulated. I have read that Buff Orpington's are hardy chickens and I live in the southern part of zone 6 so we did'nt build an area for a heat lamp. They are the sweetest chickens I have ever been around and I love them. But what temp. is to cold for them?
I am also mother of 3dogs,5hermit crabs,and a Maine Coon.

15498_rain_on_glass.jpg

The darker weather could be delaying the egg laying. If you could post pictures that would help determining the age and maturity of the hens. Some are just late bloomers. A few years ago I had a couple wait till 33-35 weeks, so maybe yours are due.

Cold hardy breeds are good to some very cold temps, the sub zeros at least, but you need to be aware of other factors like ventilation, humidity/dampness, location etc. Sounds like you are on the ball with it.

Good luck,
Imp

Welcome. I'm in Missouri too. (St. Louis) - Go Cardinals
wee.gif

BOs handle MO winters just fine. I have 2. They are nice birds and never have heat. You might be cold but they aren't necessarily.
I'm sure light is the main issue. You can add light to get up to about 12 or so hours a day. Having eastern windows at roost height helps get that early morning light on them. If you add light (all other things being equal) they'll start up in a week or 2.

Layer pellets are perfectly formulated for optimum egg production so limit other things. I don't know how much treats you feed but it shouldn't be more than 10% max of their total intake(preferably less). Bread should be limited because of salt content etc.

Back
Top Bottom