Hello members new person here :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by woodenfarm, Mar 28, 2017.

1. woodenfarm

woodenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2017
    TN
    I wanted to first say I am lucky to find this site on line. It has helped me out a ton already.
    We just got a few chickens for the first time well, I say a few more like 10. Yep, you read that right 10!! Crazy I know...... but, my young sons ages 4&5 and I are loving them so much.
    I will probably have a ton of questions to come your way during our chicken journey.
    But, here are a few I have right now

1. How long do you give electrolytes in the water? how many times a week or for several days? Are you spoked alternate water and electrolytes?
    2. How old do they have to be to kinda tell which ones are hens and roosters?
    3. Anyou way to keep them from making such a huge wet mess with their water?

Thank you in advance
    Looking forward to more this site had to offer for newbies [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, woodenfarm, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I'll take a crack at a few of your questions.
    I give electrolytes for the first couple of weeks mixed with water and that's it...I don't give plain water as well until that 2 weeks is up and then just water. Not sure on why I go two weeks - just do.
    Here's a link to the Baby chicks section of the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks. You'll learn tons there!
    I think gender can be determined (accurately) at about the 4-6 week stage. You can post pics of the chicks in this link when the time comes: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    With their messy water I like to set their waterer up on a 2 x 4 and later a brick to elevate it - that seems to keep the brooder a little cleaner and drier.
    Finally, if you'd like to chat with fellow Tennessee poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes to you and your flock! Hope your boys enjoy them! :)

3. woodenfarm

Mar 28, 2017
    TN
    Thank you for the links and for the help and suggestion I will try that.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, great to have you here. [​IMG]

1. I provided both Electrolytes & plain water for the first three days, per instructions given here @ BYC. I now provide ACV daily.

2. It should be pretty clear by week six.

3. I prefer nipple waterers over bowl type. Horizontal will drip less than vertical.

Also, you might provide a pie dish of light dirt so they can dust bathe. This can be provided on day one. At a week, I provide grit, whether they need it or not, it will strengthen their gizzard for when they do.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post photos at 6-8 weeks of age at "what breed or gender is this." Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Always glad to hear BYC has been helpful.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under woodenfarm [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Cute picture in your intro...thanks for sharing it!

9. woodenfarm

Mar 28, 2017
    TN

Thank you the boys love taking them for monster truck rides :)[​IMG]

10. Jmcggnj6

Jmcggnj6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    SE Kansas
    Welcome! I am new here myself but have been kind of stalking the site for a long time now. Lots of really experienced people here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by