Hello members!!!!

pamsflock

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
I've got a question. I have some chickens that are wheezing and coughing. It's super hot and humid in my area and wondered if that would cause such a problem. Also, what should I give them to treat the problem? Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Hello and welcome!

I have had problems like this (minus the coughing problem). Our chickens constantly pant when it gets over 90 degrees. I would guess they would be dehydrated. Try putting ice in their water when it gets really hot. We use old milk jugs and fill them with water, then freeze them and put them in their water. This sort of helps.

But before we get their, let me ask one question. Are they drinking the water you put out? Are they refusing to drink it? Make sure the water's clean.

Welcome again! Good luck.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, they are drinking. And I'll try the frozen milk jugs. A great idea!!!! Thanks again so much.

Hello and welcome!

I have had problems like this (minus the coughing problem). Our chickens constantly pant when it gets over 90 degrees. I would guess they would be dehydrated. Try putting ice in their water when it gets really hot. We use old milk jugs and fill them with water, then freeze them and put them in their water. This sort of helps. 

But before we get their, let me ask one question. Are they drinking the water you put out? Are they refusing to drink it? Make sure the water's clean. 

Welcome again! Good luck.

Hope the above advice helps.

Welcome
frow.gif
enjoy the community, and much luck with your flock!

Hi Flock Master. I started the ice water yesterday. Most are drinking except for two. I had one to die yesterday. I tried giving her water with a syringe, but she didn't make it. I have another which is not drinking and I will try the syringe with her I guess. I'm good with the clean water. I change it every day. Thanks for your suggestions. This is a great site.

Back
Top Bottom