1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello! My Chicken Resume & Introduction~

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amberrenee, May 16, 2016.

1. amberrenee

amberrenee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I already posted in the chicks forum but figured I should do an introduction since I plan to be pretty active here. Excited to have found this forum.. I was searching for quite a few chicken facts and kept arriving here so I joined!

I first had chickens as a child.. around 10. My parents got me a couple silkie chicks for Easter as their friends had coops. I kept them inside until we finished our barn coop. Then out they went. They were both hens. We ended up raising more and caring little about the actual eggs.. they were more like pets. We had a rooster and I have fond memories of checking an egg and seeing it hatch. Our family friends each had large hen coops and I often would collect the eggs. I really loved all of those memories, even the smell doesn't bother me ha.

Fast forward to now and I'm 31, living just north of the city and have a strong urge to raise chickens again. My husband and I are very into gardening and last year built raised beds. This year we're building a coop. It started as a simple coop and now has grown into something larger. We've been working on it for 2 days straight and we're still not done ha! I love how it's become trendy to garden and have chickens even if you live in the city.. it makes it easy to get started and find supplies! Our city even does a tour de coop to tour all the city coops via bicycle haha.

I read about breeds and decided on Lavender Orpingtons. I love the way they look and read they were good pet chickens as well. I've considered adding some blues but I'm not sure if I just want to keep them all the same breed... and how they would mix.. I don't know.

I have 4 Lavenders currently.. born May 3. I'm going to be adding a couple more in hopes we have a few hens. I hear they are a tough breed to tell with. Of course.

So it's very nice to meet everyone. I never thought I'd be having a chick brooder in my bathroom and building a coop with my husband but I'm so happy it's so! I plan on being pretty active here as I'm still a newbie chicken owner and I really enjoy your posts.

xoxo

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Welcome to BYC!! Sounds like you are off to a good re-start. Lavender orpingtons are very pretty.

Once you get settled and the chicks are grown, you might want to pop over to the hatching eggs forum, if you would like to get to a new level of addiction. :D
    -Banti

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

6. amberrenee

amberrenee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016