Hello, my name is Carmen, and I am addicted to chicks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Angeleyes707, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

1. Angeleyes707

Angeleyes707 Chirping

Thursday
    Fort Bend County, TX
    I have a problem, but I seek no help!

We currently have 22 chickens. We had 23 yesterday, but our 10 week cream legbar started to crow and he found a new home!! Today an Ameraucana started to crow, and now I am debating letting him breed with some of our mature hens!

We have had chickens for almost 4 years now, starting with our "Home Depot Special", a hen my husband and son caught that had gotten loose in a Home Depot garden section. We later found out she was a Kelso (fighting breed. Oops), but she laid great little eggs pretty much daily for some time! Now she's broody more often than not, but my son loves her to bits!

Once we figured out what she was, we added 3 Rhode Island Reds to make our flock. Then we added a Silver Laced Wyandotte and 2 Australorps. They were fine in our backyard till the city found them. Oops. Those now live at the barn where we stable our horses, and we have since bought 7 acres we are prepping to move onto, now with 17 more chicks coming to bring up our flock numbers! Hoping they fly under the radar with the city till then!!

ValerieJ, Nardo, MomJones and 15 others like this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Do you have any pictures of your flock?

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Carmen and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Carmen, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    How long until you close on your property?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM
  5. Angeleyes707

Angeleyes707 Chirping

Thursday
    Fort Bend County, TX
    Hi, all! I'll work on getting pictures up of my birds. :) And I have now added a location!

We have actually already closed on our property, but we have had a LOT to do to get it ready for move in. It was blank pasture and tractor barn, being converted to horse stalls, separate paddocks, orchard, berry patch, adding a chicken house, tons of gates, cattle working area, etc. ;) It's been 2 1/2 months, and I think the end of prep is in sight!! (Yes, we are moving in with a small farm!)

6. TropicalBabies

TropicalBabies Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Hawaii
    Aloha @Angeleyes707 and welcome to BYC.
    Love your true confessions lol. You could not have found a more understanding bunch of enablers and smugglers if you tried.

Congrats on your new acres, most exciting!! Also exciting is living on the same land as your horses. Absolutely dreamy. Yes, please share photos! :D

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Congrats on the new homestead! Nice to have you here :thumbsup

9. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What kind of horses do you have?

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: