1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello New BYC-er in Ohio.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 25bengood2me, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    :)My name is Marie, I'm 56, retired & my hubby is also retired.
    We live on his grandad's retired farmland. we bought 54 acres of the land. We have 1 black hen left from a straight run of 6 hatchlings this past June28. A fox has systematically carried off the others.:[​IMG][​IMG]: Yes, we're not the best caretakers. The door to the pen was left open each time a bird was taken.:[​IMG] NOW hubby agrees that I am allowed to be in charge of the chickens & their bedtime routines.
    A friend-of -a friend is willing to give me a roo. They both hate to know my hen is alone.
    My problem: my hen is claustrophobic, will not rest in the coop/run. She wants to be free. She roots in a pine tree above the coop.
    SHOULD I TRY MORE CHICKENS? yes, they will be confined. Are short(3-4 hours) Daily outings OK?

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from S.E Indiana!!!!! You're going to love it here! [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Welcome!

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! Yes, get more chickens - immediately! But if you choose to just get one to be company for your poor black hen, I'd suggest getting another hen instead of a rooster. Others may disagree, but I think if the rooster has only her to mate with, she could suffer from his attentions. As for the hen roosting in the tree, I'm sure after seeing all her flock-mates carried off by the fox, she knows she's safer up there. For sure predator-proof the coop and lock her in there at night. As for just letting them out 3-4 hours a day to free range, I think that's fine. That's how I do my chickens. My little flock has an enclosed run attached to the coop, so they can go there any time, but I only let them out onto the grass for a few hours a day. You're going to LOVE your chickens and you'll do GREAT! I'm glad you found BYC - you'll learn tons here. Good luck and WELCOME!!

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Hi there from California! Yes, the more chickens you have, the happier you will be...its a proven fact!!![​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

[​IMG] from Western Washington!

Of course you need to get more chickens! (get some ducks while you're at it [​IMG] )

9. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    [​IMG] A warm welcome from sunny AZ [​IMG] I agree, more chickens are in order [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Marie! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by