Hello! New Here

Chickentea

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
Hello everyone! Been lurking for a while trying to learn some things about chickens, as they are something I'd love to raise in the near future. I've been eyeing Australorps and Buff Orpingtons, possibly ISA Browns, as I'm looking for chickens that make good pets/friendly as well as good egg layers. (I'm bird crazy, hah. I have two pet birds but have raised a few others in the past. Hoping to study Avian Medicine/Ornithology in the future as well. This would be my first time raising chickens.)

I'm mostly concerned about predator control. I live in a rural area (not comfortable posting my exact location obviously, but I'll say that much) and we do have foxes, hawks, the occasional bobcat (Never seen them go after my neighbors chickens. We (my husband and I, that is) asked her about it and she said the only problem she ever had was with a racoon stealing an egg or two and that was it), and raccoons. Any advice is surely welcome.

So...yeah. I'm a newbie here. Hello again and I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Australorps and Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed to keep. They are super friendly, docile, great layers and most of all are generally pretty healthy breeds, living long lives. They do well in both the heat and cold too. I highly recommend them!

As for predator control, some people use electric fences with good luck. We have always had too many predators and I only free range with supervision only. We built a large run and put in levels, roosts, mirrors, things to entertain them when they can't be outside.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything in particular, feel free to ask. Welcome aboard!

I'm new as well, so don't have a lot of wisdom to share. I do have 4 Isa Browns in my mixed flock. All pullets, so far seem to be "middle of the flock" girls. My chickens are more livestock than pets, so I can't say how friendly. They seem easy going though and are pretty to watch.
Welcome!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Australorps and Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed to keep. They are super friendly, docile, great layers and most of all are generally pretty healthy breeds, living long lives. They do well in both the heat and cold too. I highly recommend them!

As for predator control, some people use electric fences with good luck. We have always had too many predators and I only free range with supervision only. We built a large run and put in levels, roosts, mirrors, things to entertain them when they can't be outside.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything in particular, feel free to ask. Welcome aboard!
I was definitely planning on having a good size run for them to wander around in, with some things inside to entertain them!

are night attacks a big worry though?

I was definitely planning on having a good size run for them to wander around in, with some things inside to entertain them!

are night attacks a big worry though?
Early evening is usually known as the killing hour. Night time predators are waking up and hungry. Definitely get birds inside well before dusk.

My birds do really well spending a lot of time in the run, keep them entertained and they are happy!

Back
Top Bottom