Hello, new member new owner. Wow a lot of poop

littledon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
NorthEast Mississippi
I am a new owner. North east Mississippi, own 16 acres have 8 new chickens about 5 months old. A rhode island red rooster and hen, a americuna roster and 3 hens and 2 mixed hens.I have read some books and watched a lot of videos to prepare but most said they only clean the coops once every couple of weeks or a month. I built a chicken tractor with nesting boxes and the boxes are filled with poop every morning. Is it ok for them to sit in that much poop?

The daily routine of my girls : eat, poop, play repeat. Lol. I find its much easier to spot clean their coop in the morning when I go out to let them free range. This seems to keep it under control. Good luck and welcome fellow newbie!

The roost poles and the nest boxes are about at the same highth a foot and a half off the ground. I have been scooping the majority off the top every morning.

A little young to lay. So they'll poop anywhere they want. My girls have a corner they all want to lay in. About eye level to me. They poop everywhere else but there. Sacred spot or something.

Today is the first time I let them out to free range when I got home just before dark. When they went back in i looked inside and they were all in the nesting boxes. Four boxes with two in each and they aren't laying yet.

Aww. Mine used to do that. Their butts are too big now to share a box! I think I got my first egg when they were about 6-7 months. About the size of a robins egg. Bigger gradually.

I would block off the nest until they are older and raise the roost a little if you can. You don't want them to get into the habit of sleeping there and chickens love routine so they are unlikely to stop unless something makes them.

Greetings from Kansas, littledon, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy to have you here! Sounds like you've already be given the advice I would have said so I wish the best!

Back
Top Bottom