Hello! Newbie here.

Moon Daizy

Chirping
Mar 28, 2024
Hello!

It’s been a long time since I’ve kept chickens, and I’m super excited to be getting some more this year. I kept them briefly when I was a teenager (long story), but haven’t had them since.

We’re currently building our large run and coop. There’s a lotta work involved in converting a once nettle and bramble thicket at the bottom of our garden, into a useable and practical chicken run/coop, not to mention predator proofing it along the way. We’re in U.K. but get foxes, badgers etc and pesky rats.

We haven’t decided on breeds fully yet, but toying with Orpington, Barred rock, Colombian Black Tail and Wyandottes. We will be getting around 4-6 birds.

We are going to be converting a plastic shed into a coop, and as I said building a run too. Which has been complicated as it’s involved putting in a fence between us and the neighbours, amongst other things like heavy clay soil, unearthing buried treasure (old karts, about 60 sheets of corrugated iron, loads of wire and other crud…. Don’t you just love these hurdles?!)

I have a few questions about the ventilation of the shed - I have read plenty of the threads on here re ventilation, but have not had my particular question answered…. Do I start a new thread, or join the back of an old one? I could post pictures of the project if people would be interested 😊 but I don’t have many pictures of the process to date, but we’re probably only half way through!

Thanks for having me here 😃🐓🐓🐓🥚🍳

:welcome Good to see another UK person (I live in Devon)
I know what you mean about buried treasure :lau It seems to be everywhere
What is your question about ventilation??
But i would start your own thread if you have questions
Would love to see pictures of your project
I love orpingtons don't really know much about the other breeds though
I would recommend bantam breeds too
Good luck

crop.gif

Hello!

It’s been a long time since I’ve kept chickens, and I’m super excited to be getting some more this year. I kept them briefly when I was a teenager (long story), but haven’t had them since.

We’re currently building our large run and coop. There’s a lotta work involved in converting a once nettle and bramble thicket at the bottom of our garden, into a useable and practical chicken run/coop, not to mention predator proofing it along the way. We’re in U.K. but get foxes, badgers etc and pesky rats.

We haven’t decided on breeds fully yet, but toying with Orpington, Barred rock, Colombian Black Tail and Wyandottes. We will be getting around 4-6 birds.

We are going to be converting a plastic shed into a coop, and as I said building a run too. Which has been complicated as it’s involved putting in a fence between us and the neighbours, amongst other things like heavy clay soil, unearthing buried treasure (old karts, about 60 sheets of corrugated iron, loads of wire and other crud…. Don’t you just love these hurdles?!)

I have a few questions about the ventilation of the shed - I have read plenty of the threads on here re ventilation, but have not had my particular question answered…. Do I start a new thread, or join the back of an old one? I could post pictures of the project if people would be interested 😊 but I don’t have many pictures of the process to date, but we’re probably only half way through!

Thanks for having me here 😃🐓🐓🐓🥚🍳
Howdy and welcome from Florida 🇺🇲🐊. Hope you find all your looking for. I wish you the best of luck 😁👍.

Back
Top Bottom