Hello, Paisley the horse

I agree with the others about getting her company, but not all horses that are raised alone become nightmares.

My mare is 8. I have owned her for 5 years. She had a very rough start life by someone who was supposedly a very well know Saddlebred trainer. This lady bought her at 6 months of age and after 3 weeks of having her she decided that this filly was a crazy horse and locked her in a stall for 2 years. All the lady did was throw her hay, fill her water, and open the back door once a week to let her go in a pen the same size as her stall so she could clean the stall. She had never had her feet done, no shots, nothing.

A friend of my SIL's told her about a young mare that needed to find a good home. So my SIL went to see the mare and was horrified with her condition. She told the lady she would give her 500 for the mare and not call the authorites on her. The lady agreed and my SIL went home with a new horse that had never had a halter on or anything. My SIL had her for 6 months and it was a struggle. The mare respected no ones space, was a nipper, and pushy. My SIL asked me if I wanted her since I had to have my TWH put down. Against my better judgement at the time I took her. All 14.1 hands and 600lbs of bratty horse.

Well after consistant ground work and 5 months at the trainers. Scarlett is now a very well mannered mare who would give her life to save you. She does not nip, push, slam her hoof down when doing her feet, respects everyones space, and will stand all day long where ever she is tied without moving an inch. She has also shot up like a weed. Rounding out at 15.3 and 1000lbs.

Welcome to the world of horse ownership! She's very cute!

I definitely agree with other posters that she would really benefit from being around other horses. Some of the most difficult horses I've ever worked with were ones that grew up partially alone. They just don't act quite right and it can be very scary, especially when they get older. Boarding somewhere would probably be ideal. She would get to be around other horses and you would get the benefit of having more experienced owners around if/when you have questions.

Have you read the USPC Manuals of Horsemanship yet? If not, they have great information about general horse-keeping stuff. So does the BHS Manual of Horsemanship.

Speaking of Pony Club, it might be a good idea for your daughter to join one. They are very good about teaching correct, safe horsemanship as well as some great stable management. Your horse is too young to participate right now, but Pony Clubs can do a great job finding horses for kids to borrow. They are just starting their western program (as in the pilot program starts Jan 2012), but the horse management is applicable to all disciplines. You could also try 4-H but I've found the quality of instruction varies a lot between clubs.

I know sometimes it can encourage horses to drink if you put a little apple juice in the water. It doesn't always work, but it might be worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom