Hello peeps!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by momsheri92, Nov 15, 2011.

1. momsheri92

momsheri92 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm a Pacific Northwesterner on the other side of Washington state (You know, the side that isn't green but more brown and sage color) and I guess the most accurate description of myself I could provide is that I am a city girl trying her best to convert to country while still living in city limits.

After learning that my small city does not prohibit chickens, my addiction began just a few weeks ago with the purchase of 8 ameracauna chicks over the internet. They arrived safely... and accompanied by no less than 10 mystery brothers! My plans for an 8 chick brooder went quickly down the drain. All 18 birds are now just over three weeks old and looking like actual chickens.

In the meantime, to prepare myself for the inevitable dispatch of said brothers, I picked up a whole bunch of free birds from Craigslist to practice on. While most were only good enough for immediately conversion into freezer form, one lady I spoke with turned around and gave me 8 gorgeous just-started-laying hens! I was then blessed with a little girls' pet banties after her mother was threatened with being cited for having them in the larger nearby city. So... to date I have 10 layers in the outside coop, 18 babies in a temporary indoor corral (they graduated from their heater today!), and my dogs think the chickens are their new best friends. I have one that paces and cries to be let in to the chicken run! To my great surprise, they all play together nicely.

Our cat thinks the chickens are all of the devil and stays FAR away, and that's perfectly okay with me! My family is still in the stages of mixed awe, repulsion, and acceptance of this project. Can't wait until I tell them I'm doing rabbits too... [​IMG]

Sheri
    (1 husband, 5 kids, 1 grandkid, 4 dogs, 1 cat, and a whole bunch of chickens)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sounds like you have quite the farm [​IMG]. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] from NH. Glad you found us.

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Sheri!
    [​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Welcome from Oregon!

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Texas.

9. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx