Hello! Sorta new to chickens and brand new to BYC Forums!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kyochan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Kyochan

Kyochan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Hello, Kyo here! My family and I run a small private horse rescue barn in Georgia and have managed to find ourselves with a full flock of chickens. We got our first one about 4-5 years ago when we moved to a new house/farm. The previous owners had left their rooster there by himself and we 'inherited' him. We named him Bob and all we know about him is that he was a Rhode Island Red and sweet as can be. It took a while but he came around to liking us.

Eventually we decided to get him friends but instead of chickens we got ducks. 3 Swedish Blacks. Sadly, he did not like them at first, but after two of them were rehomed as adults, Bob became the best of friends with Guapo, the male duck we kept. They had the bromance to beat all bromances! [​IMG] Wherever one went, the other followed.

Then, as it always happens, a girl came into the picture. One of the rescues we worked with had an injured hen that needed a new home and we took her in. Sue (or mama sue as she is now called) is an unknown breed and she wedged her way into Bob's heart though he still made a lot of time to hang out with Guapo.

Now, 4-5 years later Mama Sue and Big Bob (R.I,P) have dozens of babies (we try to take the eggs away but sue is great at hiding them!) who are now nearly grown young troublemakers.

[​IMG] Some of the young hens.

[​IMG] This is Cas, who took over Bob's position as head rooster when his daddy passed away.

[​IMG] another one of the hens. Sadly most of the gen 2 hens look to similar to name so they are all called 'Sue's girl' or 'stephano'

[​IMG]

[​IMG] this is Dean. He's Cas' right hand man. Together they rule the roost and chase off their brothers from the same clutch (Sam and Gabe) as well as their younger brother Chuck Norris.

Do the breeds look familiar to you? We only know that their father is the Rhode Island Red. I've tried to get a picture of Mama Sue to post here but she is very camera shy! Anyways! Those are the Gen 2 babies. The older clutch (Cas, Dean, Sam, Gabe, and 4 of the hens) are about 2 1/2 years old while the younger clutch (Chuck Norris and his 8 sisters!) are about a year old.

We also have a random hen named Legs. We have NO idea where she came from. None of our neighbors know where she came from (we live up in the mountains so we know pretty much all our neighbors) but before he passed away Bob adopted her into the flock and she has become just 'one of the girls'.

[​IMG] She is still very wary of humans so these two pictures were as close as I could get. And you can also see one of the 5 chicks of Gen 3 named GoldWing! (whom we all think is Legs' child even though one of mama sue's daughters is raising her.

[​IMG]

To wrap up the introduction to the outside chickens are the first (and hopefully only) gen 3 chicks! First up is the Goon Squad. The goon squad consists of GoldWing (pictured above with Legs), SilverWing, and two other black chicks. They were laid by unknown hens (we are pretty sure legs' laid two eggs and Mama Sue's girls laid the other two) then two hens hatched them and raised them together. Now they are about 8 weeks old and getting into all sorts of trouble!

[​IMG] (left to right) GoldWing, Black Chick One, and SilverWing. The other chick is off to the left and did not make it into the photo :( )

Then there is the Solo Chick we call Jet Li. I don't have a picture of him but he looks just like the little black chicks, is about 5 weeks old, and tries to fight everyone including Cas! Luckily the adults know he's just a baby and let him off with a swat or a little peck. ^.^

Those 5 will hopefully be the end of the breeding for our chickens. We finally have the land and time to build a coop and run for the hens so we can seperate them from the roosters and keep them safe. (we sadly lost Guapo when a stray coyote/fox came out of the woods. But luckily Guapo's daughters Frekka and Charlotte survived).

Our coop isn't pretty, perfect, or finished but we started working on it saturday and without plans or a good idea of what we were doing but we managed somehow!

[​IMG]

We are planning on doing the run next weekend (after payday) and then our little flock can be safe and we can, hopefully, get some more eggs without the boys harassing the girls.

And before I wrap it up I should mention there are actually 6 babies from Gen 3. Here's the story.One day we walked into the barn and BOOM! baby chicken in the middle of the barn getting pecked at by the hens! It was a tiny little thing, only a day or two old, and none of the hens would claim it and we were worried he would die outside by himself so we brought him in with the intention of letting him grow up big enough to protect himself and turning him back out with the flock. Buuuuut, I've grown so attatched to him and he is convinced I'm his momma so I am pretty certain he's gonna be in indoor chicken. I can't very well turn him out when he's scared of the dark. :p

[​IMG] Sp00n at 4 days old with my lovable pit Lonoh (they were closely supervised but Lonoh has helped raise baby chicks and ducks before so he knows how to be gentle and move slowly around little ones)

[​IMG] Sp00n at 5 days old.
    [​IMG]Sp00n at 3 weeks (last night) fell asleep while watching T.V

[​IMG] Of all his toys, the bowl is his favorite!
    [​IMG]Lonoh making sure his little brother doesn't get into to much trouble. You can see where he had already jumped in the dog food bowl and scratched some onto the floor.

And that's all the flock! Sorry if it was so long of a post!! And, in advanced, I'm glad to meet you all! I've been lurking here since Cas and the gang where little chicks and you guys have helped us a lot without even knowing!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kyo, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best wishes to you and your birds!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] what a nice story

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    My goodness you have quite the group lol Welcome to the site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by