Hello & thank you

SylviaSimons

Hatching
Jan 17, 2016
Floral City, Florida
So much information to absorb. We don't have any chickens yet, still in the planning stage. I did have a question about coops.....is there a reason for the roof being angled upwards in front? We are considering building a coop onto/under our 'storage barn' overhang which is angled down.
I certainly have enjoyed reading some of the stories and looking at pictures of all the different types of chickens-who knew there were so many!

Hi, welcome to BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

I believe the roof is angled for drainage purposes. I may be incorrect, but that's what I've always thought.
idunno.gif

What breeds do you have in mind?

Thanks! We are still researching breeds, I'd like at least a couple different types. I'm in central Florida, so heat tolerance is important, any suggestions would be appreciated. Of course I'd like them to be socialable too!! :). We will probably get a maximum of 6

I know the angle of the roof is for drainage, but didn't know if it really made a difference which angle, seems all the coop plans I've seen are all on the up angle and our roof is down. Probably doesn't really matter.

Thanks! We are still researching breeds, I'd like at least a couple different types. I'm in central Florida, so heat tolerance is important, any suggestions would be appreciated. Of course I'd like them to be socialable too!!
smile.png
. We will probably get a maximum of 6

I know the angle of the roof is for drainage, but didn't know if it really made a difference which angle, seems all the coop plans I've seen are all on the up angle and our roof is down. Probably doesn't really matter.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/the-ideal-roof-for-a-chicken-coop/

Are you getting chickens for eggs, pets, or meat?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on silkiecuddles; roofs are angled so that water doesn't run off in front of the doorway or into the run. For breeds I would suggest Australorps. They are the most heat resistant of the dual purpose breeds, are usually calm and gentle (great lap pets), and are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. If you don't mind hybrids (as opposed to pure breeds), I would recommend Black or Red Sex Links which are pretty heat resistant and are egg laying machines. I especially love the Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are very friendly and hardy and will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Michael, thank you, I will check out the learning page more thoroughly than I have, I've been skimming thru a lot of basic info. Also appreciate the chicken breed information, I have nothing against getting hybrids. We are total novices really, so there you go. Although my brother has 22 chickens, I suppose I should call him too! haha

Last edited:
Michael, thank you, I will check out the learning page more thoroughly than I have, I've been skimming thru a lot of basic info. Also appreciate the chicken breed information, I have nothing against getting hybrids. We are total novices really, so there you go. Although my brother has 22 chickens, I suppose I should call him too! haha

You're welcome.
Eggs, hopefully they'll be friendly pets too.
Breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and friendly (good lap pets) include Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, and Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. All of the breeds on this list are good layers and the Australorps are excellent layers.

Last edited:
I would think the roof is higher in front, so rain will run off the back of the coop. Otherwise rain would pool around the front.

Back
Top Bottom