Hello there

Hens Mum

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Got my first girls back in June 2020 - 2 ISA's - wasn't sure as I have a dog (Bearded Collie - Bailie) and a cat (Rag Doll - Pheonix) but all went well.

The girls weren't flighty so the dog didn't chase and they were fully grown so to big for the cat (Pheonix is lazy anyway). All was good on the "free" range. At easter I added 3 Dutch Booted Bantams (mistake) - I didn't know they could fly :( but I also added a Coronation Sussex pullet - not good at all. The Sussex was picked on by the bantams, then the ISA's started picking on her, then Bailie started chasing her. The Bantams flew off and I found the Sussex deceased - not eaten and not torn apart. Then the other day I found one of the ISA's deceased too. But the remaining ISA chases Bailie around (that dog has issues)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Now I'm down to 1.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Just the ISA at the moment - I'm rebuilding the pen and coop (palace) so they won't be free ranging it when I'm not home any longer.
Will be changing to Orpingtons

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They have big personalities and help with the gardening.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Not many any more - I did show my dogs at one stage but I'm just down to the 1 and he hated the ring.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

google helped me find you and thank you in advance

Welcome to BYC. I used to breed & show Cockers. The last one had 9 pts. but, hated riding in the car. He was so exhausted from that he didn't put on much of a show. :idunno
I know that feeling. I pulled my Beardies out of the ring with 2 only needing 1 point for their Champion title. I just hated seeing the youngest 2 so unhappy to be there. Chooks are happy all the time.

Back
Top Bottom