Hello there

obsidian_jarl

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Hello, I'm new here. Canadian. Originally from Montreal, Quebec but turned country by rural Ontario. I've always been interested in chickens and I honestly think they are great. Let me tell you my story.

When I was 14, my brother and I bought 4 chickens. It was our responsibility to take care of them and pay for their expenses as well as tools to repair an old coop, which we gladly did. Anyways, 2 of the hens which were rhode island reds, and another 2 which were black rock hens . It was wonderful. They brought colour and life to the yard and I learned a lot about how they are truly social beings that have habits. Not only that but we received a lot of eggs. In any case, within 2 years we then were given the strangest rooster (well saved him from death actually as he was an undesirable sex link). In any case, I'm not sure what his two breeds were but he was a tiny (bantam mix?) extra feathery rooster who continued to peep well past the stage of cockerel. For that reason, we called him Peeper but eventually it became Jimmy. Because of his size, he could fly short distances. Anyhow, we constantly had intrusions and difficulties with badgers, skunks, and raccoons. But we were able to stop that by laying down dog hair and I even set up a tent for a few nights to keep the critters away, but two of my chickens were lost... We worked on filling in the loss by getting an assorted dozen chicks. I have a lot of good memories and at this point, there were many names. These chickens were definitely pets. Anyhow, eventually the critters preying on my chickens grew more clever and we had to use other tactics such as radios, using the washroom around the area (yup, I'm from the country), motion sensor lights. The last straw was laid when we lost Peeper. After this point I argued with my parents over the fact that these were lives and they were dying but I received no support. When all but on chicken were left, I basically said f*** you to my parents and I brought the last hen inside the house! And so I partitioned a part of my workout room as the chickens room. It was messy at first but I got into the habit of cleaning every day. I would let her outside for half of the day and the other half she would just chill out and enjoy the company of the cats. (She is incredibly spoiled, why she has even had lobster before) In any case, I am now well into my education in University (3 years now) and thus have not been home often and she still lives the easy life. My parents have accepted and indeed enjoy her company now. I am always surprised though at how habitual chickens are. I mean literally, at the same hour of the day she would go to the door, and at the same hour the next day, she would come to the door to be let in.

Alright well enough of that, I've rambled quite a bit.

tldr: I love my chickens and I even had one that lives the easy life inside my house.

Anyways, I just want to keep my love of taking care of chickens alive. I remembered how awesome it was and being able to talk about it is pretty sweet. I will definitely get more in the future. Anyways thanks for listening!

Hi... welcome..

I am in Southern California, USA... enjoy the site.. use the Search here on BYC for lots of info on any subject or symptom.

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom