Hello to all chicken people!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Terricat, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Terricat

Terricat In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2019
    I've had chickens for about 30 years.
    I have 22 plus one chick, right now; down from about 35, a couple years ago.
    Breeds I have: 1 Appenzeller Spitzhaben, 3 Light Brahmas, 3 Silver Dorkings, 1 Black Austrolorp, 2 Blue laced Red Wyandottes, Auracanas, 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and other mixed breeds, since I let my hens brood and hatch chicks.
    I love chickens because they are beautiful, social, intelligent animals. I never kill any of my chickens, letting them live out their lives, naturally. My Appenzeller is almost 10 years old, still lays eggs and is as feisty as ever! I never use lights in the winter because it gives my hens a rest. Once they start laying eggs again, in February, they are amazing. My chickens are very healthy and free-range most of the time.
    I just had an issue with a Great Horned Owl, though! And, coyotes have taken their toll.
    My other hobbies are gardening, hiking, and reading.
    I am an organic farmer, cooking teacher and manager for the Coalition for Healthy School Food, Cook for a Retreat center, and am an Animal Communicator.
    I've used BYC as a reference many times when I google for chicken issues and decided I want to contribute, also.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    That's quite a flock you've got.

4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

5. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop

6. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    :wee:welcome:wee

Super glad to have you here!! Can't wait for your chicken (and all other things) wisdom!! Welcome to the flock!!

7. slordaz

slordaz Crowing

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    so eggcited to have you here on the forums with us, I'm the resident typonese expert when not properly caffeinated lol

8. Terricat

Terricat In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2019
    I will post my location...turns out we live quite close. I live near Owego/Candor, NY

9. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
    We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
    Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
    :wee

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community, BACKYARD CHICKENS :jumpy:jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: