hello to all.im new to raising chickens and could sure use some help and guidance.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on the advice already given.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chickens can be such great therapy for the disabled. You can sit there and watch them for hours and let your cares slip away. And of course they say pets can keep you alive so much longer because they can help to reduce blood pressure. Chickens give a lot of love and I hope they continue to bring you and your family great joy!

Welcome to our flock!

thanks for all that chicken knowledge from each of you.ok now I I can report ive had 7 eggs to gather since I was last loged in..ive got 4 hens that I really think should be laying,so is it unreal to expect 4 eggs per day? I told you wrong on the chicken run.actually built the coop off the ground so the chckens have that space to go under the coop.i agree 10 chicks is tight for a 4 by 8 coop.those little rhode island reds wont go in the coop.is it because they to young to understand?all the bigger chickens pick on them and I guess id be afraid to lol.what is your thoughts on this? im planning to take pics and intended to already but time just slips away so fast when im taking care of my wife.she keeps me busy most of the time .

Last edited:
All chickens mature at different ages as far as laying. So if they are close to this age, give them time to grow a bit more and mature. You are better off having them lay later than early. Early layers are subject to all kinds of egg laying issues. How old are your birds now?

As for the one that won't go into the coop, she is no doubt being bullied. You will need to intervene with this. Never let a bully stop a bird from going into the coop. I recently mixed in some chicks to my adult flock and I had this trouble with one hen that was refusing to let the chicks come into the coop. At first I had to cage her much of the day because she was so aggressive. This lessened her aggression over the weeks. At roosting time, I make sure everybody gets in the coop and up on the roost bars. Chickens can be very mean. So I found that if I got them all up on the bar and turned out the lights, they all managed to stay put and the ones not allowed into the coop got in. Things are getting better in my flock and this hen is no longer caged.

You can also use pinless peepers on a very aggressive hen. A bit extreme, but if you have a very mean hen, you can't let them hurt the others. I had a comb ripper. This bird wore these on and off for 3 years. She no longer needs to wear them...

So basically you will need to intervene to make sure everybody gets into the coop at night, everybody gets to lay their eggs in peace and do what you have to do with meanies. Also, make sure you have enough places to get food and water. Meanies can guard these areas and literally starve out the lower in the pecking order birds. So use two or three areas so that everybody has a chance to eat and drink.

thanks ,sounds like you done crossed the bridge im crossing now .the eggs ive fried seemed to have a hard to break yoke .almost like it had a protection around the yoke.ive never seen this out of the store bought eggs.am I lacking something in the hens nutrition? they have plenty of water,scratch feed,laying mash,also been giving them lots of tomatoes out of the garden that has started to rotten.occasional table food like cornbread or dried out bread,pizza.the yoke just seems tougher than what ive seen from other eggs .I really don't kno how old my birds are that's laying but I was told they were pretty young.i hope to post pics ,so that u all might help me with that.

Last edited:
thanks ,sounds like you done crossed the bridge im crossing now .the eggs ive fried seemed to have a hard to break yoke .almost like it had a protection around the yoke.ive never seen this out of the store bought eggs.am I lacking something in the hens nutrition?
No. That's the sign of a fresh egg. In a fresh egg, the albumen is firm and hold the yolk up. In an old store bought egg, the albumen is watery and the yolk is flat and breaks easily. Fresh eggs are much better for frying than store bought eggs.

Last edited:
I made a mess out of my last post but that's karens chickens.maybe someone could tell me what breed and age of them if that's possible .

Back
Top Bottom