Hello to all Members of BYC from sunny Portugal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ValedasLascas, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ValedasLascas

ValedasLascas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Ladoeiro, Portugal
    [​IMG]

Hi Everyone

I am new to backyard chickens and want to say Hi to everyone.

We have a small farm in Portugal called Vale das Lascas (web site will hopefully be up and running next week).

We have several different kinds of chickens and waterfowl, turkeys, quails, pheasants, guinea fowl etc. and I have been raising chickens for several decades (not telling how many). We also have goats, sheep, piggies and three dogs.

There is a saying where we live that we only have two seasons a year and It is either very hot or very cold but we do not have snow. Obviously this causes its own problems with my flock.

Running a small farm you get lots of livestock problems and I have found your threads very interesting. You also get the enormous blessings from always having baby animals running around.

Well bye for now.

Vale das Lascas, Portugal[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!! Sounds like you have all the poultry! Yes, we have places like that here in the US too....from the freezer to the frying pan and back again. Ha!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a beautiful Red Sex Link hen in your picture. Red Sex Links are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any other kind of chickens besides Red Sex Links.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    " from the freezer to the frying pan." Two Crows is certainly right. Where we live we also get tons of snow and ice, etc.

Welcome to backyard chickens. So glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello and welcome to our flock,glad you joined[​IMG]

8. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

9. ValedasLascas

ValedasLascas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Ladoeiro, Portugal
    Hi Michael

It is lovely to hear from you. I have numerous kinds of chickens, Latest recruits last week were a trio of laced wyandotes and pair of golden silkies along with our first flock of pheasants. We have a range of sizes from Jersey Giants down to our little golden and silver seabrights. My particular favourites are the Polish but unfortunately our only female died last year.

When we moved to the farm we lost so many chickens to what, it now turns out, were respiratory problems. They now have medication in their first week of life and again if necessary. So far so good and I currently have around 36 in the "nursery" plus one baby turkey- I still have problems with baby turkeys and geese when they hatch as they seem unable to walk properly and it takes about three days of physiotherapy to get them moving.

The aim of Vale das Lascas is to have a place where children and adults can see as many different kinds of chickens and wildfowl as possible. We have already shown some of our babies at the local festas where they were really popular.

Hopefully I will be able to publish our web site next week and everyone will be able to see all of our chickens, ducks, etc.

Kind regards
    Vale das Lascas
    Ladoeiro, Portugal

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm sorry about the loss of your chickens to respiratory problems, but I'm glad things have turned around with the medication. You have quite a range of breeds. At one time or another, I've had all of the breeds you mentioned in your post but not in all of the color patterns you have. Our Wyandottes were Silver Laced, our Silies were black, our Jersey Giants were black also, our Sebrights were silver (no golden), and our Polish were golden. It's nice that people who otherwise might never get any real exposure to poultry can come and spend time with yours. I'll look forward to seeing your website. Good luck with your farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by