Hello to all

perkolator

Songster
Aug 20, 2019
Placer County, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello from Placer County, CA!

Sorta new to chickens, our first ones came with the house we bought a year and a half ago. There were six of them, I think most of them were Black Copper Marans and they were in poor shape, I think because the previous owner never really let them free-range and they were cooped up all day.

We got more chickens that same year after losing 1-2 to something during the day when free-ranging (take your pick: fox, hawk, coyote, bobcat, trash panda, etc). At that point had 24 hens + 1 rooster (that we later got rid of because he kepty trying to get at my kids) and were thoroughly enjoying our egg poopers.

We currently have 17. Got all the way down to 3 hens last spring after they slowly got picked off and decided to renew the flock with 16 chicks at the end of May 2019. Ended up with 2 roosters and we unfortunately lost two more of the hens - so we're down to 1 adult hen, 14 teen hens and 2 roosters.

Not sure on all our breeds. Pretty sure the 1 hen is a Salmon Faverolle. I think we have these pullets: 3 Gold Laced Cochin, 1 Blue Cochin, 1 Black Cochin, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte,1 Black Jersey Giant, 1 Buff Brahma, 2 Gold Sexlink. 1 rooster is possibly a Barnevelder.

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They're fun, our kids love them, they poop out breakfast and eat the bugs in the garden.

I think I discovered this site a year ago when I was researching chicken coop designs. Figured I've been frequenting Reddit r/backyardchickens long enough, it's time to join the actual forum!

Currently building a new chicken coop that I will for sure be sharing pics of here!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your coop. Any plans to make a large predator proof run?
Thanks!
Not quite ready to share my coop as it's not done yet, but I will soon as I'm about 80% completed. It's got a run attached - concreted in cinder block foundation with 1/2" hardware cloth on walls, floor, and 18" skirt around perimeter. Tight joints on the doors, I don't think anything's getting in unless it fits through the holes in the hardware cloth :highfive: I'll be making another "run" type thing made from individual panels (with skirt at bottom) that can be quickly and easily put up or taken down when I want to confine them to certain areas of the yard.

Back
Top Bottom