hello

Hey jayke563

While I do not want to come across all ‘non believing’, I do have a couple of questions if I may because all my research indicates that you cannot ‘make a hen broody’ as it is hormonal.

Anyways, is this the only hen on which this has worked for you? If she is actually broody, could it be coincidence?

Did you put a wet hen on a nest/eggs?

When you say “put a bucket or piece of wood” in front of the nest box, does she now have no way of getting out?

I wonder if she is ‘sitting on the eggs’ because she has no way of getting out and no other option?

How long has she stayed on the nest? Does she stay on the nest once you take away the ‘barricade’?

Could she simply be sitting there because she is in the dark or a little frightened after being bathed etc?

If the plan is to force her to stay on the eggs .. how do you think she will go at raising the chicks when her instincts have not told her it is time to be a mumma?

Hey jayke563

While I do not want to come across all ‘non believing’, I do have a couple of questions if I may because all my research indicates that you cannot ‘make a hen broody’ as it is hormonal.

Anyways, is this the only hen on which this has worked for you?  If she is actually broody, could it be coincidence?

Did you put a wet hen on a nest/eggs?

When you say “put a bucket or piece of wood” in front of the nest box, does she now have no way of getting out? 

I wonder if she is ‘sitting on the eggs’ because she has no way of getting out and no other option?

How long has she stayed on the nest?  Does she stay on the nest once you take away the ‘barricade’?

Could she simply be sitting there because she is in the dark or a little frightened after being bathed etc?

If the plan is to force her to stay on the eggs .. how do you think she will go at raising the chicks when her instincts have not told her it is time to be a mumma?
I'm sorry I forgot to mention after the hour of having the bucket in front of the nest I took it off to see if it had worked and it did I took the sheets of the ventilation holes to let light in and she fluffed up her feathers and spread out her wings to cover the eggs, she is sitting on them right now she didn't even go up on the rooste with her friends to sleep so that is how I know it worked and yes I put the wet warm chicken on the nest putting her it the warm water made her brooding spots warm so that she wanted to set on eggs just like if u put the chicken in cold water it will make them not broody because it cools down the broody spots thank u I will try this with one of my Rhode Island reds and see what happens and then tell u if it worked

Hey jayke563

Yep, please keep us updated … I hate to say it but I am still skeptical as it is her instincts and hormones that decide if/when she is going to be broody; but time will tell I guess
wink.png

Weather is probably playing most into your hens not being broody. Getting about 10 hours of light a day and getting much colder, most hens are going to take a break from their broodiness.
Warm water which warms a hens skin isn't going to change hormones.

Good luck with your broody hen.

Weather is probably playing most into your hens not being broody. Getting about 10 hours of light a day and getting much colder, most hens are going to take a break from their broodiness.
Warm water which warms a hens skin isn't going to change hormones.

Good luck with your broody hen.
ok well it worked for me that is all I know and I was just sharing it with you to help people sorry

Hey jayke563 don't be sorry; as I said, after years of being told 'you cannot make a hen go broody' we tend to be skeptical.

Keep trying and keep us updated .. who knows, you may be right
wink.png

And, thank you for sharing .. if no-one shares no one learns.

Back
Top Bottom