Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laurarenee333, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Laurarenee333

Laurarenee333 New Egg

Hi I am new to raising chickens. We have what the lady at the hatchery called, Red Cross chicks. The dad was Rhode Island Red n mom was columbian. Can't find too much more about the breed. We have had them about a month. Teenager chickens right now [​IMG][​IMG] 2 roosters and 10 hens. They are split between 2 coops, 1 rooster and 5 hens in each coop. Pretty happy with them so far! I'm Laura n live in Ohio.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Laura and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your flock.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Be sure to check out your state thread. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet your Laura

5. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey Laura! Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates That state thread is a MUST see if you are interested in meeting chicken enthusiast near you. I love your idea of one rooster per coop defiantly a good idea and I will give you a ovation for that! All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

6. Laurarenee333

Laurarenee333 New Egg

This site is awesome. Everyone I meet hears I'm starting chickens and they all start off the same way, "Well what you've got to do is..." Or they give me some crazy advice that my research doesn't support. One guy told me the hens won't start laying eggs for 6 years! I don't take much of the advice to heart but I know that I am going to have a lot of questions along the way so I am super excited I found this site and community where I can share experiences and learn from you all who have much more experience. I did go and post in the Ohio thread. Now, when I'm out with my boyfriend taking jeep rides I am always looking in peoples back yards for coops. When I see them, I try to convince him to pull in the driveway to see if someone comes out so we can talk about our chicken families. Haha. It might be less creepy to talk to ppl on the site! Well thanks again for the links!

1 person likes this.
  7. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    @Laurarenee333 that is absolutely hilarious! I think it is great you are so into chickens. I am sure that in real life the title of "crazy chicken lady" may be a little off centered, but on here "crazy chicken lady" is a title to be proud of! Lol. I can tell you are going to be a great addition to our roost and I am so excited you joined us!
    Justin [​IMG]

8. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    So glad you have joined us!

9. harley587

harley587 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 18, 2015
    New Jersey
    Hi Laurarenee333....welcome to BYC!! btw - I love your Avatar pic... the big joke in my family is that I was "Joe Dirted" - I came home one year and my family had moved, long story but mostly my fault. It only took me about 5 hours to find them though!!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by