Hello,

kawillit

Hatching
Jul 21, 2016
I live in Vancouver Washington, and in a neighbood where many people raise backyard chickens. I have had my chicks for 6 weeks now and I love them so much. It is so enjoyable to just sit and watch them and learn their personalities. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down what breed of chicks they are. I purchased 2 black ones and 2 golden ones, each $2.39. I bought my coop off of craigslist and can already tell it will be too small. Just this week I created a 4 x 4 x 10 foot run for them. The two goldens are sort of flightly so I learned quickly to lay a netting over the top. Almost lost one to the dog. I have only seen 2 raccoons ever in my yard, but I do lock them away at night. Immediately I built a worm bed so I can feed them fresh worms, which sometimes they will grab from my fingers. I have a ton of questions, but learning all the time. I do have one pressing question, well, 2 questions. I only have hens, as roosters are not allowed within city limits. Will they still lay eggs? and second question, how old will they be before they get to the egg laying stage?
Thanks for reading. Kathy

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your new flock.

Yes, they will lay eggs - just cannot hatch them:)

The age of lay varies by the breed and even by the individual pullet - but most don't start until about 18 weeks or older.

You should explore the Learning Center for loads of helpful info.

And should study on predator proofing your coop and run. Many predators, including raccoon hunt any time of the day.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom