Hello!

wolfynn

Hatching
Aug 11, 2016
Tulsa, OK
So after three years of pestering my other half, I finally convinced him that I should have a few chickens! I have been reading the boards here for months,but wanted to actually join and say hi now that I have my baby chicks at home.

I wanted to go local...but wasnt able to find anyone with silkie chickens other then one or two at a time. Ended up ordering from Cackle Hatchery. That was pretty nerve wracking!

I ordered 15 (the minimum) silkie chickens and some how slipped up and ordered 5 polish chicks too...I don't know why I thought the polish were in the bantam section! Of course cackle sent two extra silkie along for the ride...they were all impossibly tiny but so far (day 7 in my home, day 9 of their life) seem very healthy!

Here are some pics if I can figure out how to post them!

This is Phoenix!

I feel terrible about none of my silkies having names yet...there are just too many of them!

This is Spike, he has such a round little mohawk poof ball.

And this is Florence. Named after Florence & the machine because she has the prettiest tweet songs with the widest range of vocalizations compared to the regular tweets and cheeps!

I think I know what kind of Polish chickens they all are except for these two who look alike for the most part...

I think maybe they are just white polish?

Ok sorry for so many photos and rambling, I am just so excited about my new chicken venture. Looking forward to getting to know others and learning all I can!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock. You may find this link helpful right now - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks.

You'll also find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Darling!!

LL

Did you get more polish than silkies? I love the silkie. I hatch them often.

This is some of this yrs. hatch...

Your silkies are adorable! I got more silkies then polish, but the polish are just much prettier right now ;) The silkies were buff color...but the majority of them seem to have what I think people refer to as smut...a lot of greyish feathering down their backs, or worse, in their wings...I am hoping they outgrow it, but right now its just awful lol. I will try to get some more pics and post in the buff silkie thread soon. I didn't expect them to be show quality - I just didn't know it was a possibility! I have been trying to learn about genetics...and there is just...so...much to learn lol.

How old are your silkies in the picture above? I can't wait till mine start getting fluffy!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your polish are adorable, can't believe they came from a hatchery. Hatchery silkies tend to be ,well "different."

Back
Top Bottom