Hello

DUWBACC

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2016
NC
Hi Everyone,

Although I have lurked all over these boards for months and months to learn all that I can, I am new here.

We have three human babies (6, 4 and 10m), so I am a busy mommy!!

We are FINALLY moving to a neighborhood in another town where the ordinance allows for 4 hens (no more than 4 and no Roos). The house we are buying has a great coop with 6 nest boxes (wish I had taken a picture) and a small attached run. I will fix the issues with the coop and want to hire someone to build a larger, taller, sturdier, roofed run. They will be in there unless I can be in the backyard with them while they free range.

In a perfect world I would have one Buff Orpington, one Lavender Orpington, one Speckled Sussex and one Welsummer (pardon me if those were spelled incorrectly). However, I will just have to get whatever my local hatchery has of the above breeds when the chicks hatch at the time that works for me (after Sept 12). I can't do straight run, so I am getting the "sexed females" (as much as you can sex the non sex link breeds) and they have rooster return. I know there are better layers and I would yield more eggs from my small flock of 4 with better layers, but they will equally be loved pets and I want super friendly girls with my children running around.

I'm planning to put rocks/gravel and then top it with sand in the run. Not sure yet what to do in the coop.

For feeder I love the 5 gal bucket with street elbow idea (but I don't have the tools. No point in getting them bc hubby isn't handy and I just don't have time). Also looking at the rodent proof feeder on etsy by the carpenter person (found a link on here a while ago).

Still torn between the adore1 and pullet safe doors...

Want to fashion a self waterer and have ordered both vertical (for single bottle waterer in brooder) and horizontal for the waterer in the coop. Again, the no time and no tools is an issue! Ha. Hope to find a local diy-er to help me.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful knowledge that you have shared on here! Happy to finally be able to put it to use. The chickens will be my "me time" hobby. My husband will only help by eating the eggs. Haha!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could joins here! What a lovely intro, I have really enjoyed checking out all your plans. Have you checked out the learning Center? Lots of super articles there that will really help you out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck for the move and the future. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello from South Dakota, I'm glad you joined us! I loved your introduction and can't wait to see how your plan turns out
big_smile.png

You picked some nice breeds - maybe if you checked your state thread, you could find some locally. Then you wouldn't have to settle for whatever the feed stores or hatcheries happen to have.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could joins here! What a lovely intro, I have really enjoyed checking out all your plans. Have you checked out the learning Center? Lots of super articles there that will really help you out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck for the move and the future. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

I will be sure to check out the learning center! Thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!!

You picked some nice breeds - maybe if you checked your state thread, you could find some locally. Then you wouldn't have to settle for whatever the feed stores or hatcheries happen to have.

Ohhhhhh a state thread? Wonnnnnderfulll!!!! Headed there now :)

Back
Top Bottom