Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Owly6, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Owly6

Owly6 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    New here, but have lurked and researched here for a couple of years now.

My family and I have 23 hens, and we're looking to add a rooster.

Not related to chickening, but our girls do enjoy the large garden that we keep as well. My goodness they love kale (especially when it's buggy lol)[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Owly6, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community and that you are familiar with BYC! It is indeed a great community. I know what you mean about gardens and chickens. They have policed every insect off the property except for those in the fenced garden. Here at the end of the year I turn them into the garden and they really clean up the bugs!

3. Owly6

Owly6 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hi redsoxs! Thank you for the welcome! I haven't yet closed the garden, but we're getting ever closer.

My inlaws were surprised when they came down for Christmas last year. When they arrived at our place, we had our chickens (10 of them at the time...I've become a bit of a chicken junkie) in our fenced in garden. It was a warmish weekend, and the girls were having such a great time scratching around for whatever worms, bugs, and dropped seeds they could find.

The inlaws really got a kick out of watching me try to round up all those happy birds to get them back to their coop. Fortunately, I've learned a few tricks since then!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Yes, they are great foragers. Had to move my garden from the back .. to the front yard. :)

5. Owly6

Owly6 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hi Cynthia12, thank you!

That's too funny...yes, be prepared to spend every minute of your day babysitting a spot with yummies once the chickens discover it!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your chickens are welcome to any kale they can find. I hate it [​IMG]

7. Owly6

Owly6 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Lol, they would happily take it ALL if I'd let them.

Donations: Hungry Hens, 555 Little ChickenCity, IL, 00000-000 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Owly6!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by