Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redwitch82, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Redwitch82

Redwitch82 New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Good afternoon from southeast Oklahoma. We recently moved us and our horses onto some rural land and are heading down the yellow brick road to "ranching". Once I got our horses settled, I turned my eye, and husband's building talents, towards a coop and getting chickens. Husband only agreed after I explained that my chickens would join his battle against the fire ants moving in. If they don't eat fire ants, please don't tell him!

We are putting the final touches on our coop. I have never had chickens before, but am lucky to have two close friends that raise chickens. And this site.
    I am hoping to start with 4-5 pullets. Husband put the cabash on any roosters, but never specifically stated any specific maximum number of hens. Let the good times roll!
    Free range is the ultimate goal. Any and all advice on breeds that lay moderately well and do great at free range will be welcome.

Thank you all for the amazing advice and information on this site.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings again, Redwitch, and [​IMG]! Pleased to officially welcome you to BYC!! Not sure on fire ants but my chickens love the ants that crawl around my place. In terms of breed - and you can have a mixed flock it you'd like - Red Stars or Black Stars are great layers and mine have always been the best free rangers in my flock. Delawares being white might do a little better the summer heat. Easter Eggers also take the heat well and are good scroungers. So many great choices out there! Best of luck on your journey!!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Redwitch [​IMG] Welcome!

I will keep it to myself but my gals do not eat ants, fire or normal [​IMG]

Congrats on the new land and best wishes to you and your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Greetings, Redwitch, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Glad you joined us [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Welcome from a former Floridian...sorry but my girls wouldn't go near fire ants so I wouldn't count on chickens to be any help getting rid of them. We used to boil large pots of water with a little Dawn detergent mixed in to pour on the mounds. You don't want to use poisons or chemicals around the chickens and the Dawn did a pretty good job helping to control the ants (you just have to stay on top of them, they will pop up in other areas).

Good luck to you and congrats on your new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by