Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crzychcklady, Apr 1, 2017.

1. crzychcklady

crzychcklady New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    Hello from Va. I'm pretty new at this chicken raising thing so I am still learning. I started with 4 laying hens. Lucy, Myrtle, Gemma, and Lulu. Lucy was my sweet RIR who saw me as her momma. She would sit on the front porch with me and we would "talk" while I drank my morning coffee. Unfortunately she was savagely murdered by a neighbor's dog who took her out of her coop. A few weeks later, the same dog was at large again and once again brutally murdered my fluffy butt Myrtle. My heart is saddened at their passing. I have 4 five week old chicks soon transferring outside. They are LadyBird, Vanity, Mango, and the last has no name because we aren't quite sure if it is a Roo or not. But that's my girls! I just purchased an EcoGlow heater so more new babies are in my future!!! I'm glad to be here and learn so much from you all!

2. chicken420

chicken420 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    Northern va
    That dog needs punished :( hello from northern va!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. For sure, the dog issue needs to be addressed if you are to protect yourself from further losses.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. crzychcklady

crzychcklady New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    Virginia
    We called animal control and they set a trap for a while. We have since purchased a trail cam but nothing yet :(

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, crzychcklady, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Sorry to hear about your losses! [​IMG] Have you sought any restitution from your neighbor for not containing or controlling their dog? I wish you better success with your future flock!
    Thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under crzychcklady [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry hear of your loss [​IMG] Sadly there are many ways we can lose one or more of our loved featheries, illness etc but of them all, my biggest fear is to walk out to carnage; I would be heartbroken.

I also have a LuLu.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am SO sorry for your losses. [​IMG] I can imagine this was heart breaking for you. I would definitely build yourself a good sturdy run to keep your birds in. I have so many wild predators around my area, I can only let my birds out when I am watching closely. My birds spend much of their time in a very large run that I have set up things for them to do and keep busy. I try to bring the outdoors into the run for them instead of letting them free range without strict supervision. Again, I am so sorry.

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Best wishes!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since the neighbors won't take dog ownership seriously, then it's up to you to fortify coop and runs, so predators cannot make a killing. If you are allowed to use electrified fencing, I would suggest you put some up around the outside of your run and coop so the dog will decide to go elsewhere.

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses.

Best wishes to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by