Hello

crzychcklady

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Virginia
Hello from Va. I'm pretty new at this chicken raising thing so I am still learning. I started with 4 laying hens. Lucy, Myrtle, Gemma, and Lulu. Lucy was my sweet RIR who saw me as her momma. She would sit on the front porch with me and we would "talk" while I drank my morning coffee. Unfortunately she was savagely murdered by a neighbor's dog who took her out of her coop. A few weeks later, the same dog was at large again and once again brutally murdered my fluffy butt Myrtle. My heart is saddened at their passing. I have 4 five week old chicks soon transferring outside. They are LadyBird, Vanity, Mango, and the last has no name because we aren't quite sure if it is a Roo or not. But that's my girls! I just purchased an EcoGlow heater so more new babies are in my future!!! I'm glad to be here and learn so much from you all!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. For sure, the dog issue needs to be addressed if you are to protect yourself from further losses.

Best wishes
CT

Greetings from Kansas, crzychcklady, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our flock! Sorry to hear about your losses!
hugs.gif
Have you sought any restitution from your neighbor for not containing or controlling their dog? I wish you better success with your future flock!
Thanks for joining BYC!!
wee.gif

G’Day from down under crzychcklady
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am so very sorry hear of your loss
sad.png
Sadly there are many ways we can lose one or more of our loved featheries, illness etc but of them all, my biggest fear is to walk out to carnage; I would be heartbroken.

I also have a LuLu.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am SO sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
I can imagine this was heart breaking for you. I would definitely build yourself a good sturdy run to keep your birds in. I have so many wild predators around my area, I can only let my birds out when I am watching closely. My birds spend much of their time in a very large run that I have set up things for them to do and keep busy. I try to bring the outdoors into the run for them instead of letting them free range without strict supervision. Again, I am so sorry.

Since the neighbors won't take dog ownership seriously, then it's up to you to fortify coop and runs, so predators cannot make a killing. If you are allowed to use electrified fencing, I would suggest you put some up around the outside of your run and coop so the dog will decide to go elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom