1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PMcGSSS, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PMcGSSS

PMcGSSS Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    Encino CA
    Happy Easter from the San Fernando Valley, in Southern California. We are getting our very first checks in a few days. I have madly reading everything I can finding on the Internet.
    I have a few questions:
    1. We are picking up our day-old checks at a hatchery. To get the breeds we want, we would need to pick some up one week, and the rest a week later. Question: is the week's age difference important, or should we change our choice of breeds so they are the same age.
    2. Regarding raising them outside in a brooding box like the ones I read about at this website..we have daytime temps in the mid-70's here. Can the chicks run around in the enclosure now (under supervision).
    3. Any other advice for us?

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    [​IMG]

Congrats in advance on getting your chicks. This site is full of great information and helpful members.

I only have ducks, but I think the same generally applies. It is warm enough they that can be outside during the day while supervised. When you introduce one group of chicks to another, first house them in an area where they can see each other, but not touch. Once they've been seeing each other for a while, give them supervised play time all together increasing the amount of time they spend together. They should never be left alone until they're all about the same size and they seem comfortable around each other (no serious scuffles).

I'm sure others will chime in, too. Good luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Happy Easter, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I'll take a crack at your questions:
    1. I would put a divider in the brooder for a couple days until the younger ones get their feet under them....and then integrate them. At only a week apart I wouldn't worry about the older ones harming the littles. Others may have different opinions
    2. Observe them...if they huddle up and puff up they are too cold and need to return to the brooder. Sunlight obviously helps...breeze cools them off.
    3. Read these links: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens
    and https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    And chat with some local poultry folks indoor state link here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Oh, and have fun and enjoy the adventure! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under PMcGSSS [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    :welcome, PMcGSSS!!!
    You've already received some great links and info, so I'm just saying hi. :frow
    It's great to meet you and we're looking forward to any more additional questions you can conjure up! ;)
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by