Hello

DolittleFarm

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2017
Hello to all. I am raising chickens and turkeys right now. Well just starting. I have 4 turkeys right now and will be getting 25 chicks on Tues. right now they are in their brooder until old enough to go outside. I am in the process of looking at coops to build and wonder how big should it be if I plan to have 20 laying hens? I will be building a separate coop for the turkeys and will only ever have 4-6. Thank you for any help and advice.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined us. Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 square ft. per bird in the coop, excluding nest boxes and roosts. In the outdoor run they should have 10 sq.feet per bird.

You may also want to check out the coops section on BYC for different types, designs, sizes and then the predator threads to see how to safeguard your flock.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good advice from D/Diva. Whilst the figures given are not written in stone, if you do not plan to free range, or live in an area where winter weather is likely to confine the flock to the coop / run for some parts of the year, then they certainly become important.

Back
Top Bottom