Hello

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
Hi folks, I thought I'd take a second to introduce myself. My fiance and I recently moved out to a small farm and have decided to get a few chickens. I only wanted about 12, but she ordered 27 (I guess the chicken math started early). I work a lot, so I was only able to work on building the coop 1 day a week for a few hours. We started our adventure at the end of October, and have had quite a few set backs. I took 2 months off of working on the coop to hunt and trap. Then we had our chickens arrive the middle of February. We lost one in transit, and 4 more within 2 days, but the remaining 22 survived. We ended up with 4 barred rocks (2 roosters), 4 Buff Orphingtons, 2 RIR, 3 black Australorps, 2 golden lace polish, 3 silver lace polish (1 rooster), and 4 americaunas

Feb 28, we were hit with an EF-4 Tornado that damaged our home, and destroyed the homes of 3 of our neighbors. That was another set back from working on the coop. On April 9, we and finished the coop enough to let the chickens move there (and out of my garage!). Since the chicken run was not yet complete, we would leave the chickens in the coop while I worked and then they would free range after I got home. Finally with the help of friends and family, we completed our coop June 11 with the exception of some small details. Now the chickens can have access to the run while we are at work, and when we get home they get to run all over the farm.

I'm sure there will be more post to come. If I can find the pictures my fiance and family took, I may do a "build-along" for the coop project.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry to hear you received so much damage from a tornado! :hugs Wind can be incredibly damaging. Good to hear you got the coop all finished however. Feel free to post pics of your family and birds!

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our roost! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I look forward to seeing pics of your coop.

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom