Hello

MelissaLarsen

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2015
I don't think I have introduced myself formally.. My name is Melissa :) I will use the template so I don't forget something.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I was raised around farms when I was young. Gathering eggs was not my favorite chore - especially when the chicken didn't want to let the egg go. But, here I am older now and getting into it myself. I started my first flock in February of this year (2017). My husband does the majority of the heavy lifting for the birds - and I get the joy of gathering the eggs and watching them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

7 - I expected to lose 1 or 2. Thrilled they all survived though!!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 WL, 4 RIR's (one turned out to be a rooster) and 1 SLW. All survived to date.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Internet search. My husband and I were looking at homes and I told him I really wanted chickens. So, I started researching online and found this website - and along with friends - this site has been very helpful. :)

(5) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, I have a husband, a dog named Bella (who is an absolutely wonderful addition to our family). I am basically a housewife as an illness has taken me out of my chosen profession as a Paralegal. There are days I need a really good reason to get out of bed early -- and knowing I get to go look at my chickens and watch Bella try to play with them (through the fence) is great incentive.

It's amazing how fast they grow and how different they are in personality. When we first put them out my husband and I would sit and just stare at them. My husband thinks he's the chicken whisperer and will eventually tame the Rooster -- I will let you know the number of stitches he gets in a year as soon as the rooster gets his spurs. LOL. It's absolutely amazing how they change in subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) ways overnight. This has been an adventure and now that one of our WL is giving us small eggs - it's even more exciting every day. Another big bonus is watching my husbands grandchildren with the chickens.

Love this website and the advice I have gotten. :)

Thanks for joining.
Feel free to ask any question...there is an answer to it somewhere here on BYC.
Welcome!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Pullet eggs start out small. As kinks get worked out of the system the size will increase to what is normal for the breed.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! I am glad you are enjoying your birds so much. Chickens sure are fun to keep!

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

I have collected eggs since i was young right now I've got three chickens the thing that lead me here was a google search i searched facts about quail and ended up joining im not on here much but i try to be!

Back
Top Bottom