Hello!

Deni-1958

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2018
I am a new member and I'm so happy to have found this site. We are new to chicken ownership and have only one chicken. We acquired her by "serendipity" I would say. We were at the feed store picking up dog food and the owner had Peaches in a large plastic storage container in the store. She is splay legged so the store owner had taken her from the group of chicks and was attempting rehab. She didn't have a lot of time to devote to this, so we decided to take her home and see what we could do.
Peaches is mobile - by hopping on her one good foot. She seems happy and bonded to us, and we are doing our best to keep her healthy and safe. She is a pet. The one issue we have is we don't think she will be able to live in a coop as she won't be able to roost or travel up and down a ramp. We are animal lovers, so as long as she seems healthy, we would not put her down.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Denise

I am a new member and I'm so happy to have found this site. We are new to chicken ownership and have only one chicken. We acquired her by "serendipity" I would say. We were at the feed store picking up dog food and the owner had Peaches in a large plastic storage container in the store. She is splay legged so the store owner had taken her from the group of chicks and was attempting rehab. She didn't have a lot of time to devote to this, so we decided to take her home and see what we could do.
Peaches is mobile - by hopping on her one good foot. She seems happy and bonded to us, and we are doing our best to keep her healthy and safe. She is a pet. The one issue we have is we don't think she will be able to live in a coop as she won't be able to roost or travel up and down a ramp. We are animal lovers, so as long as she seems healthy, we would not put her down.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Denise
welcome-tweety-300-farmer-c.gif

Start a thread on the Behaviors forum

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying.18/

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Denise! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Chickens do need a companion but as long as you give her a lot of socialization then she should be fine. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

:welcome

We used to have a lame girl too, a RIR named Taylor. Because the other chickens picked on her, we built her a separate little A-frame coop that sat on the ground and her area was surrounded by fencing so the other chickens couldn't peck at her. Taylor slept in her A-frame and laid her eggs there too. Here's a picture to help you get an idea of what we set up for her. She didn't have to try to go up/down a ramp or use a roost.
Taylor.jpg

Best of luck to you and if you have questions, always feel free to ask!

Welcome to BYC! I'm soooooo glad you joined! You'll love BYC! It's awesome you decided to join the BYC roost! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I/we do! If you need any help creating a new thread, (if you don't know how I'm going to tell you; and if you know how I'm going to say it anyway) just scroll up and click "Post New Thread". Then follow the steps and walla! I can't wait to see you on BYC (all the time, or not)! My name's Ayla. Nice to meet you!View attachment 1584244

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom