Hello!

LittleDebbyHens

Hatching
Jun 9, 2020
Love our hens! My husband and I moved to a more rural area of Florida about five years ago, and one of the first things we did was build a coop and add our sweet hens! Started with five, but lost one about a year ago. (Not sure how old they are since we got them as adults.)

The summer rains here with the storms, etc. really make a muddy mess of their coop, and I am still learning what works best for keeping them dry and healthy! We use play sand for the floor of the small run, and I keep shavings on the floor of their nesting box. While I normally worm twice a year, once with Wazine and 6 months later with Valbazen, I am thinking of doing a "Corid drench" on the floor of the run. It is sand and the recent rains have drenched the whole yard. The sand in the coop is soaked and I am concerned that there may be an overload of Cocodosis in the sand and I am thinking that a good drench will disinfect the sandy bottom of the coop? I'd appreciate any thoughts or help. Thanks, Deb

Hi and welcome to BYC. I free ranged my flock so I have no experience with keeping runs healthy, though others will. Chat with other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).

Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Love our hens! My husband and I moved to a more rural area of Florida about five years ago, and one of the first things we did was build a coop and add our sweet hens! Started with five, but lost one about a year ago. (Not sure how old they are since we got them as adults.)

The summer rains here with the storms, etc. really make a muddy mess of their coop, and I am still learning what works best for keeping them dry and healthy! We use play sand for the floor of the small run, and I keep shavings on the floor of their nesting box. While I normally worm twice a year, once with Wazine and 6 months later with Valbazen, I am thinking of doing a "Corid drench" on the floor of the run. It is sand and the recent rains have drenched the whole yard. The sand in the coop is soaked and I am concerned that there may be an overload of Cocodosis in the sand and I am thinking that a good drench will disinfect the sandy bottom of the coop? I'd appreciate any thoughts or help. Thanks, Deb

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom