Hello!

skmcqgreen

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2022
My name is Sarah, I’m brand new to chickens, though I have wanted to get a flock for many years.

We don’t currently have any chickens but I’m thinking about getting 4-6 within the next year or two. I wasn’t particular about breeds, but now I know I’d like some friendly high quantity layers, with good predatory awareness (we can’t have a rooster to help protect the flock). Any suggestions on breeds are welcome!

I probably won’t post here often, but I will certainly read and obsess if any and all information. I have been wanting chickens as egg layers and feathery family members :)

Our family is me and my husband, our two year old, an old dog, and a curious Orange cat. I enjoy outdoor walking/light hiking and photography, and I work for a local university.

I first found BYC years ago looking at chicken coop designs — which is probably one of my favorite parts of planning! I finally joined because it’s nearly finally time for me to be a real chicken enthusiast!

I’m really looking forward to learning from all of you, and maybe sharing pictures of my coop and flock when I finally get them!

Hello, Sarah, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Predator aware and (overly) friendly don't generally mix. I would personally avoid the high production breeds as they don't live very long at all as laying all those extra eggs takes a huge toll on their bodies.
I would select birds well suited to your climate. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
61n52p.gif

Back
Top Bottom