Hello

Hentastic11

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2022
Hello, I am fairly new to chickens, I began my journey in September 2021 with 4 laying novegans and 2 almost laying Rhode Island reds. Chicken math became real when I brought home two baby sapphires, one passed away two days later so I went to get one more to replace it and came home with 4 more babies.. We recently discovered two if those babies turned out to be Roo’s !
So we have 2 lavender Orpington roosters, 4 novegan hens, 2 Rhode Island hens, 2 Americana Easter egger hens, and 1 blue sapphire hen..
I would like to let a Broody hen hatch a few more babies to add to our happy flock eventually.
I love watching my feathered friends, and learning their different personalities and behaviors, and having fresh eggs everyday is amazing!
Outside of chickens, I am a mom to 4 beautiful girls and I have been blessed to be mom to my bonus son and bonus daughter.. my husband and I have been happily married for going on 16 years this year..
I came to know BYC through all my google research on how to be a good chicken mom, how to properly care for them and keep them happy and healthy! Almost every search brought me to a BYC thread and was always extremely helpful so I decided to join!

Up to this point we have not had a broody hen, but we are hoping one of them will and that we can have her hatch a few babies but I am not sure which eggs to allow her to hatch at this point.

I Am also not sure if I am going to be able to keep our two boys much longer.

Thank you for allowing me to be apart of such an awesome group, I am excited to keep learning from all of you !

Pictures of my lavender Orpington roo and then my blue sapphire hen ;)

Attachments

• 05C25AB3-930D-443B-BC8E-A035DAEB2226.jpeg
    05C25AB3-930D-443B-BC8E-A035DAEB2226.jpeg
    799.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1215085F-F086-4070-AEBA-B9E1462DA079.jpeg
    1215085F-F086-4070-AEBA-B9E1462DA079.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Broodiest USUALLY don't kick in until the weather warms and hormones start flowing. And there's no guarantee one will go broody... unless they're in my flock. Then at least half will go broody all at once and keep you on your toes for months.

Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing the cute photos! Some hens go broody, and others don't. Of the birds you have, the orpington is the most likely to go broody, but sometimes hatchery stock seem to have broodiness bred out of them. My 2-yo buff hatchery-quality orpington has never gone broody, but who knows! That's part of the fun with chickens, they are all so different from one another.

Back
Top Bottom