Hello!

kattwoman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Well, since lurking since last Oct I've finally joined! Thanks too all the wonderful info here, my dh designed and built a coop and run. (Okay, my dh did more of the building and I did more of the designing, but isn't that what a partnership is?)

I have 8 chicks living in my living room now. They're almost two weeks old. They are sooo cute! My kids are having a fun time with them.

Question though: I was thinking of building a 4x4 cage out of chicken wire to let them roam around under outside, when it's not raining. (I live in W. Washington, so that kind of a hit or miss type of thing.) The temps aren't getting about 50 degrees right now. Is that too cold for them? Can I limit the time, like only an hour or so? Put the heat lamp on the roof of the cage just in case? I just feel sorry for them having to be shut up in a cage indoors all the time.

Anyway, look forward to sharing my chicken experiences with you all and learning for you!

celebrate.gif

woot.gif
Welcome (finally!) to BYC!! We have a bunch of 2 week old chicks in the house too! They are just adorable and so much fun! You can probably start putting them out for a little bit during the warmer part of the day. An hour or so would be good... They will start peeping a lot if they are cold. At least that's what mine have done.

Well, we were moving to a new state, so I wanted to wait until things settled down before joining, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom