Hello!!

MamaRiley

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
Hello! I’ve been reading different posts/threads the last week and finally decided to join. I originally was looking for information on humidity levels in incubators.
I have had chickens for the past 8 or 9 years. We usually have anywhere from 7-20 hens plus a rooster or two. This past summer was really hard on my flick and we lost several when we had several 105-110 degree days here in central California. This last fall, we also had a problem with stray digs breaking into our coop and now we are down to only 2 hens. One is an Americana and the other is an Americana/Rhode Iskand Red mix that I hatched 2 years ago.

Three years ago when I taught my Kindergarten class online from home during Covid, I decided to get an incubator and have a class project. This is my third year incubating eggs in my classroom and it is such an awesome experience! We just finished up our hatch and have 9 three day old chicks and another that just hatched with assistance last night (I made the agonizing decision to assist after much reading/research on here. It had externally pipped on the small end of the egg Wednesday and never tried to zip)—it seems to be doing good other curled toes which I’m hoping will straighten out. I don’t know the breeds of these because they were shipped eggs I bought off eBay since I don’t have my own rooster right now. The said she’d help me identify them once I send her pictures. Overall it was a good hatch for shipped eggs that the box was obviously crushed by the post office! 10 out of 19 eggs put in the incubator. Plus one other hatched but died shortly after.

I am excited to read more this on this site and have already learned a lot!!

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of chicken experience! What a neat project. I'm so sorry to hear that box got crushed, but glad some survived anyway!

Stray dogs can be such a problem... So sorry for your loss there, too. But glad you had some survivors with you. Some broke into the agriculture building at my uni and killed Richard "Dick" the Rooster. He truly lived up to his name, but he'll be missed anyway.

Hope you have fun here!

Hello! I’ve been reading different posts/threads the last week and finally decided to join. I originally was looking for information on humidity levels in incubators.
I have had chickens for the past 8 or 9 years. We usually have anywhere from 7-20 hens plus a rooster or two. This past summer was really hard on my flick and we lost several when we had several 105-110 degree days here in central California. This last fall, we also had a problem with stray digs breaking into our coop and now we are down to only 2 hens. One is an Americana and the other is an Americana/Rhode Iskand Red mix that I hatched 2 years ago.

Three years ago when I taught my Kindergarten class online from home during Covid, I decided to get an incubator and have a class project. This is my third year incubating eggs in my classroom and it is such an awesome experience! We just finished up our hatch and have 9 three day old chicks and another that just hatched with assistance last night (I made the agonizing decision to assist after much reading/research on here. It had externally pipped on the small end of the egg Wednesday and never tried to zip)—it seems to be doing good other curled toes which I’m hoping will straighten out. I don’t know the breeds of these because they were shipped eggs I bought off eBay since I don’t have my own rooster right now. The said she’d help me identify them once I send her pictures. Overall it was a good hatch for shipped eggs that the box was obviously crushed by the post office! 10 out of 19 eggs put in the incubator. Plus one other hatched but died shortly after.

I am excited to read more this on this site and have already learned a lot!!
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom