Hello

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
We have had a rough start with birds. We had a flock of barred rock chickens I named "The Karen's" but when we went to extend the run there developed a weak spot and our dog got in and murdered the entire flock. The dog was put down (controversial but she was also getting out and attacking neighbors livestock), but she left our ducks for some reason. We started out with 4. But then another creature started killing them off so we built a better run and got more ducks. Then a wind storm destroyed our fence. We lost two more! So we were just left with Joy and Baby. We built a new better run and got two batches at different tractor supply (Joy and Baby we bought from a local neighbor that breeds). I'm hoping this round will be more successful than before.

We plan on getting bunnies and maybe one day a dairy Nigerian dwarf goat. We have a micro-homestead. We have a garden as well.

The ducks became my favorite and I don't think we are going back to chickens. They were a little too tweaky for me.

My ducks do not come to me unless it's to complain about something! Otherwise they just run away. I'm a little jealous of the cuddley ducks. The new ones are super afraid of me and Baby and Joy are a little more sociable. But, as I said it's usually to complain about the conditions of their water or food bowls.

I wish we could free range them more they have about 3000 SQ ft run and will be getting a pond

I have a mealworm farm for them. Any advice to get it more free range and less pellet would be great.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your losses. :hugs Lots of Duck owners here, you are not alone! Have you stopped by our Ducks forums yet? You can ask questions, post pics of your flock, share stories and get medical advice if needed... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

We have had a rough start with birds. We had a flock of barred rock chickens I named "The Karen's" but when we went to extend the run there developed a weak spot and our dog got in and murdered the entire flock. The dog was put down (controversial but she was also getting out and attacking neighbors livestock), but she left our ducks for some reason. We started out with 4. But then another creature started killing them off so we built a better run and got more ducks. Then a wind storm destroyed our fence. We lost two more! So we were just left with Joy and Baby. We built a new better run and got two batches at different tractor supply (Joy and Baby we bought from a local neighbor that breeds). I'm hoping this round will be more successful than before.

We plan on getting bunnies and maybe one day a dairy Nigerian dwarf goat. We have a micro-homestead. We have a garden as well.

The ducks became my favorite and I don't think we are going back to chickens. They were a little too tweaky for me.

My ducks do not come to me unless it's to complain about something! Otherwise they just run away. I'm a little jealous of the cuddley ducks. The new ones are super afraid of me and Baby and Joy are a little more sociable. But, as I said it's usually to complain about the conditions of their water or food bowls.

I wish we could free range them more they have about 3000 SQ ft run and will be getting a pond

I have a mealworm farm for them. Any advice to get it more free range and less pellet would be great.

Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Wow. That is a rough start. Did you use 1/2" hardware cloth to secure your coop and run?
Now we did! We used chicken wire the first time, and what we thought were tposts. But they weren't. So now we have actual tposts. I feel silly for that mistake but lesson learned!

Now we did! We used chicken wire the first time, and what we thought were tposts. But they weren't. So now we have actual tposts. I feel silly for that mistake but lesson learned!
Did you use chicken wire again or 1/2" hardware cloth? They are not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom