Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Prairie Orca, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca Out Of The Brooder

Call me Orca. [​IMG]

I've never owned chickens before, and at the moment I still don't have chickens. But I will be getting some either this year or next spring. [​IMG]

I can't decide what breeds to get, though. I want egg layers, but I don't know which are the best to go with, and I want to start out with a smaller number (maybe six).

Ever since I was little I have always wanted chickens, but up until a month ago I always lived in the city. Now my parents and I live on an 8 acre property that has a chicken house (we re-shingled it) that still needs to be fixed up and modified a bit (still have to empty out all the old, old straw). Despite the small acreage, I still hope to get a few horses in the future. [​IMG]

For pets, we have a 13-year-old terrier cross named Lucky, a year-old calico cat named Ashlie, and my beloved corn snake Azzie. There are tons of birds around here, of many species (at least 20), including a pair of great horned owls (they have a youngster) and a pair of magpies. Plus we have a woodchuck hanging around.

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Welcome to BYC! Rhode Island Reds are excelent egg layers and so are Red Stars (Red Sex Links) and Leghorns. Barred Rocks are very sweet but don't lay quite as much. Good luck!

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! I hope you find the information you need here. The woodchuck wont be any trouble to you...well, maybe digging under your foundations; but they are vegetarians. The owls however...they will teach their baby to hunt your chickens if they happen to be out after dark...dont ask me how I know this!
    Good luck getting some birds...I really like my easter eggers! Not just because they lay colored eggs but because they are so calm! I have a bunch of different breeds on my place and I like them all for different reasons. Get some that you like the looks of because you will spend many hours watching them. Terri O

4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by